Keeping Your Stay Legal

For F-1 and J-1 Students

United States immigration law places responsibility upon the individual student to know and follow all relevant immigration regulations.  Failure to comply with these regulations may have very severe consequences for your ability to study, seek employment, or even remain in the United States.

Make sure that your immigration documents are valid and/or unexpired.

  • An unexpired foreign passport valid at least six months into the future.
  • An I-94 card marked F1 D/S or J1 D/S
  • An unexpired I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) that has been stamped by an immigration inspector.

Register for and complete a full course load of 12 semester hours for undergraduates.

  • At Wesleyan University one course credit is the equivalent of four (4) semester hours.  Therefore, the minimum number of Wesleyan full time course credits per semester is 3.00.You are expected to maintain full-time registration and make normal progress toward your degree.
  • Obtain PRIOR authorization from your Designated School Official BEFORE dropping below full course of study, withdrawing from classes, or taking a leave of absence.  There are very limited exceptions to the full-time requirement so you must consult the DSO in advance of any drop below full-time, or you will be in violation of your status.

Register for and complete a full course load for graduates.

  • International graduate student should see their DSO to receive approval for full course of study.