Social Security

Effective January 5, 2005, Social Security Administration revised its procedures for verifying the immigration status of F-1, M-1, and J-1 nonimmigrant status students.  These new procedures were developed in cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
If you have employment on campus, you must apply for a social security number.  Please see your DSO to assist in document preparation.

What must a student or exchange visitor present to Social Security Administration?

An F-1, J-1, or M-1 applicant for a Social Security Number must present the following documents to SSA:

  • A completed Form SS-5, Application for a social security card (obatined from Office for International Student Affairs);
  • SEVIS I-20 (F1 visa holders)
  • DS-2019 (J1 visa holders)
  • Visa and Passport
  • Form I-94.

F-1 and J1 student must also present

  • Proof of employment authorization.  Please speak with your DSO for these documents.