Music Library Frequently Asked Questions

Why can't I dub recordings for my own use?

For the most part, making copies of recordings you did not purchase yourself is illegal, even for so-called "educational purposes," without the written consent of the copyright holder(s). To ensure accordance with U.S. Copyright law, Title 17 of the U.S. Code, all of our playback equipment have been mechanically altered so that they cannot be used to record. This prevents users from making illicit copies of Wesleyan-owned material and protects us from potential copyright violation.

Where are all the books?

The majority of books about music (classed ML and MT) are in the Olin Stacks (floors 2 and 3a). However the Music Library Collection holds a small number of these books as well, while others may be found in the Cutter Collection (Science Library floor 2) and compact storage. Reference books for graduate-level study in music are located in the Music Library (see map) while the Campbell Reference Center keeps general and undergraduate-level reference books. The Music Library also has copies of Wesleyan masters theses and doctoral dissertations in music

Where are all the videos?

Music videos, except for World Music Archives material, are kept with the other library videos in Science Library.

Where can I charge out this score/recording?

Phonograph recordings do not circulate outside the library except to faculty and graduate students, while CDs can be checked out by all students, faculty, and staff. Checkout for CDs is handled at the service window in the Music LIbrary.

Most scores (except for those in classifications M1-M3) circulate just like books, and can be checked out either at the the Music Library service window or at the circulation desk on the first floor of Olin.

Can I browse through your CDs?

All of our CDs are kept behind the desk and are not available for browsing. They are shelved in numerical sequence in the order cataloged and so are not grouped in categories.

The best way to browse CDs is online through OneSearch. From the library home page, click on the "Advanced Search" tab.  Select "Wesleyan Books & Media" and under Media Type, select "Audio Visual."  Next to "Any Field contains," type "compact disc."  Click "Search."  Scroll down to see the search results.  You can then limit to CDs by clicking on the arrow by Location/ Collection, and selecting "WU-Circulation Desk CD."  Further limiting can be done by adding a phrase to the search such as "jazz"  or "haydn and symphonies."

Who decides what to buy?

The Music Librarian has primary responsibility for what music materials are acquired by the library and welcomes suggestions and requests for additional scores, recordings, and books. An online request form is also available from the Library home page by following the "Suggest a purchase" link.