International Students

Welcome to Wesleyan! This information is designed specifically for our incoming undergraduate international students, including transfer and exchange international students. For information for graduate international students and Foreign Language Teaching Assistants (FLTAs), please visit Office of Graduate Student Services.

  • Office of International Student Affairs

    This office provides support to your new life at Wesleyan--cultural, academic, personal, financial, and immigration.

    Before you arrive, it's a good idea to read through the following pages:

    Official Office of International Student Affairs (OISA) Facebook Page

    Pre-Arrival FAQs for Undergraduate International Students

  • International Definitions

    Wesleyan Definitions of International Students

    The community at Wesleyan is inclusive of various definitions of the term “international student” to provide support and programming.

    • Narrow Definition: All citizenships other than the United States (non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents). These are students who will need to undergo the visa process to enter the United States.
    • Broad Definition: Narrow plus U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents who went to school outside of the United States. Growing up outside of the United States brings another perspective to the international community. The broad definition also includes Third Culture Kid (also known as Global Nomads and/or Cross-cultural kids) - a person who grew up in one or more countries outside their passport country, and having been raised in a foreign culture, created a third culture, a mixture of the two.

    U.S. Government Definitions

    • U.S. Citizen: one who was born in United States territory, or to a parent or parents with U.S. Citizenship at the time of birth; or, status granted through the naturalization process
    • Dual Citizen: a citizen of two countries at the same time
    • Permanent Resident: Any person not a citizen of the United States who is residing in the U.S. under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence as an immigrant. Also known as "Permanent Resident Alien," "Lawful Permanent Resident," "Resident Alien Permit Holder," and "Green Card Holder."
  • Immigration Services

    Wesleyan supports international students as well as visiting scholars, who hold a F-1 or J-1 visa by providing immigration services before arrival to campus and during their stay at the university. For F-1 and F-2 questions, please email For J-1 questions, please email Jennifer Bomar at