Nacera Belaza

Dance Workshop with Choreographer Nacera Belaza

Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 12:00pm
Cross Street Dance Studio, 160 Cross Street, Middletown

FREE!

Explore the fundamental notions in French Algerian choreographer Nacera Belaza's work in this two-hour dance workshop. No experience necessary. 

“It will be a matter of subtracting the body from the mind in order to free it from its many limitations. Using the imagination as a vehicle for consciousness, it is led to circulate freely in and out of the body, linking it to everything around it. During this workshop, everyone is required to highlight their own functioning, habits, resistances and projections in order to free themselves from them. I believe that dance is a powerful tool for knowledge and emancipation, enabling us to achieve greater freedom by exploring human nature in depth. During this workshop I'd also like to explore two fundamental notions in my work: the circle and rhythm. It will be a question of studying them and combining them so that a new language emerges.”
—Nacera Belaza 

The United States premiere of the minimalist dance ritual L’Onde (2020) will be performed by Compagnie Nacera Belaza on Friday, October 13 and Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 7pm in the CFA Theater.

RELATED EVENTS

Impossible Tasks: Writing with/as Dance
Thursday, October 12, 2023 from 5pm to 6:30pm
South Gallery Reading Room, Ezra and Cecile Zilkha Gallery
FREE!

Nora Raine Thompson ’15, along with collaborator and dance artist Chloë Engel, present a 90-minute lecture-demonstration and workshop on writing with/as dance. This project evolves from Thompson's personal experience of dancing with Belaza at Danspace Project in New York in 2018, and charts Thompson's attempt of the impossible task Belaza gave to her dancers of "being sound." No experience necessary.