The Art of Boredom: Artist Talk and Workshop with Elliot Reed

Monday, April 1, 2024 at 5:00pm
Fayerweather Beckham Hall, Rehearsal Studio 106, 55 Wyllys Avenue, Middletown

FREE!

"The Art of Boredom" series begins with a talk and workshop by artist Elliot Reed which combines contemporary art, movement, and performance.

Elliot Reed can't wait to see you. They are preparing a "presentation" for your "university." Are you reading this? He is writing it. Hey. Are you free in April? Come by. Have you ever wanted to make a performance? Allow me to help you. We will look at some art samples and work through some movement suggestions. There will be music. No, you do not have to sing. If you would like to sing, you may sing but I don't require that of you. How do you like going to school here? Are you from the area? Did you travel from somewhere far away? Come to my workshop. If nobody comes then it will no longer be a workshop but also it could be fun for other reasons. Tell me about your favorite foods. Tell me about yourself. That's interesting! Are you interested in contemeporary art? If the answer is "maybe," "yes," or simply "I'm not sure" you are welcome in this space. Hope to see you.

This event is presented by Yolanda Shi '25, Aviva Kaplan '24, Marcos Arjona '26, Dria Dixon '25, Lucy Perez '26, and Emma Clayton '25.

This series is presented by the Creative Campus Initiative and Assistant Professor of Sociology Benjamin Haber as part of the course SOC 277 “Bored in the House: Work, Leisure, and the Domestic Mundane.” Co-sponsored by Wesleyan’s Allbritton Center for the Study of Public Life, Department of Sociology, and Center for the Humanities. 

Learn more about the events in "The Art of Boredom" series.

The Creative Campus Initiative of the Center for the Arts supports cross-disciplinary collaborations that center the arts as a way of teaching, learning, and knowing at Wesleyan University.