Passports and Visas


We recommend that all students have a valid passport, regardless of when they plan to study abroad. You cannot go abroad without a passport, and many countries require that you have a student visa, which you cannot secure until you have a passport. If you plan to study abroad, and do not have a passport or have one that will expire less than 6 months after the end of your program, it is imperative that you apply immediately. Use the regular or expedited passport process and express postage to send your passport application and receive your passport back from the Passport Agency. Expediting costs more, but will get your passport back to you sooner. You are likely to need this time to apply for and receive a student visa AFTER you receive your passport. 

Information on how to get a U.S. passport, including application forms, documents required, and locations of Passport Acceptance Facilities, may be found at Please note that the documents that are required can take time to track down, and you may not have brought them to campus with you, so make sure you get started right away.

More helpful information for U.S. Citizens can be found at


If you are an international student, visit the website for the embassy or consulate of the country where you are studying abroad to find out what the visa requirements are for someone of your citizenship. Then work with the Office of International Student Affairs to discuss requirements for staying in status for your U.S. student visa. OISA will also aid permanent residents of the United States in obtaining a visa for their country of destination.

**Whether on Wesleyan-administered or -approved programs, students are responsible for obtaining their own passports and student visas for travel abroad unless they are specifically informed otherwise by the program directors.