Applying to Wesleyan

Transfer Students

Transfers have added a great deal to the life and character of Wesleyan over time. They appreciate their new college in a way only transfers can because of their previous experience with college life. They are helped and encouraged to make a rapid transition out of “transfer” status and into all the privileges and responsibilities that come with being a Wesleyan student.

Wesleyan typically enrolls approximately 60 transfer students each fall and approximately 15 transfer students in the spring semester. Wesleyan transfer students come from other four year colleges and universities, as well as two year colleges, and transfer in as sophomores and juniors.

We have a special interest in Connecticut Community College (CCC) adult students. The Etherington Scholars Program, a scholarship program named for Wesleyan’s former president Edwin Etherington, attracts some of the top graduates of these two-year state colleges and helps them prepare for a productive future in Connecticut. All CCC transfer applicants are considered for the Etherington Scholarship on the basis of financial need. You need not use a separate form in order to apply for this scholarship.

Wesleyan also offers a special endowed scholarship to U.S. military veterans. No special application is required, but please be sure to notify the Admission Office of your military status, and provide a copy of your DD214.

  • Do you offer special information sessions for transfers?
    • Yes, at our open house on Wednesday, November 11, 2015.
  • How do I know if I should apply to Wesleyan as a transfer student or a first year student?
    • An applicant is considered a transfer student at Wesleyan if s/he has completed at least one full-time year of college and the equivalent of at least six Wesleyan credits by the time s/he matriculates at Wesleyan. One Wesleyan credit is considered equivalent to four semester hours or six quarter hours. Students who have taken college courses through a high school or part-time only will normally be considered first-year applicants. Applicants, including international students, may not discount academic credits in order to qualify as first-year applicants. Wesleyan does not grant a second bachelor’s degree.
  • How do I apply for transfer to Wesleyan?
  • Does Wesleyan require standardized testing for transfer students?
    • SAT or ACT scores are not required of transfer applicants. Scores of tests taken during high school are accepted, as are scores of more recent testing, if a candidate elects to submit them.
  • What is the application deadline for transfer students?
    • Transfer applications for fall matriculation are due March 15, with a notification date of May 15. Transfer applications for spring matriculation are due November 1, with a notification date of December 15.  Wesleyan notifies all applicants electronically for all admission programs.  Instructions on how to view your online decision letter will be sent via e-mail prior to the notification date. Related materials will be mailed to students who are admitted, deferred or waitlisted.  For those students whose application is denied, decisions will be available online only.
  • Can I begin as a transfer student mid-year?
    • Yes, in the spring transfer program. Students currently in their first year of college are not yet eligible to apply as a transfer.
  • Can I apply to Wesleyan as a transfer if I previously applied for admission as a first-year?
    • Reapplicants (i.e. students who have applied to Wesleyan but never matriculated) must submit a new application. We may still have your test scores from your previous application. You may email Corey Petrie at or call (860) 685-2977 to confirm we have scores. First year applicants who have been denied admission to Wesleyan must wait one full year before re-applying.
  • What if I have attended university only as a part-time student in the past?
    • Competitive applicants will need to have enrolled recently in a full-time course of study to demonstrate a record of success in such a program.
  • How do I know if my credits from my previous school will transfer to Wesleyan?
    • We provide a credit review with the offer of admission, but generally coursework will be creditable and will help to determine transfer admission eligibility if: the course was taken on a college campus (not a college-level course taken at high school), the course is similar to a course offered by a Wesleyan department or is from a department or program that Wesleyan has, the course is at the college level (e.g. algebra would not count), a grade of C- (B- for a summer course) or better was earned.
  • Would my AP or IB credits count?
    • Students can use a maximum of two AP or IB credits toward the Wesleyan degree. See the relevant section of the graduation requirements section of the Registrar’s page.
  • Are transfer students required to live on campus?
    • All Wesleyan students are expected to live in university-owned housing. Special permission is required for students who seek to live off campus.
  • Are there special instructions for non-traditional students?
    • Applicants who have significant interruptions in their schooling or who were home schooled should be sure to provide a thorough explanation of their educational situation, background and chronology in the personal statement or in an additional essay.
  • How many transfer applications does Wesleyan receive?
    • Wesleyan typically receives over 600 transfer applications each year.
  • How many transfer students are usually admitted to Wesleyan?
    • Approximately 125 students are admitted for the fall program (matriculating 60) and approximately 30 admitted to enroll 15 in the spring.
  • Do I need to send my high school transcript as well as my college transcript?
    • Yes. Transcripts from high school and each college attended are essential. If possible, please have them sent “to the attention of Corey Petrie" at the Wesleyan Office of Admission address and request them early in the application process, as they can take a long time to arrive. Transcripts should be sent directly from high schools and colleges.
  • What do I do if I don’t know my professors or my dean well enough to ask for recommendations?
    • Instructor Evaluations are from college teachers of academic courses. Applicants from larger schools, especially first year students, may be concerned about this component of the application. We have received very helpful evaluations from graduate Teaching Assistants as well as from faculty with whom the applicant has spoken about the reasons for transfer. The College Report may present a similar issue because academic deans may not know the student personally. Some larger schools have a policy to attach a form letter to the report. Wesleyan accepts these form letters without prejudice against the applicant.
  • Can I send Teacher Evaluations from high school?
    • Yes, you can. However these should be in addition to the College Instructor Evaluations and not a replacement.
  • Are there interviews available for transfer students?
    • Campus interviews are required for applicants attending a Connecticut Community College and for those who are already taking classes at Wesleyan. Please contact the Office of Admission at (860) 685-3000 as soon as possible to schedule an on-campus interview as appointments are limited.
    • Personal interviews are helpful to both the applicant and the admission committee. Many students will interview before deciding to apply. Interviews are available in your area with alumni interviewers or on campus with an admission dean.
  • Is financial aid available for transfer students?
    • Yes. For each student who is selected for admission, Wesleyan is committed to providing the full amount of financial aid he or she is qualified to receive based on our determination of financial need. The commitment to meet a student’s full need extends to every year of enrollment. 
      Students who indicate on their application that they will NOT be applying for financial aid and are admitted WILL NOT be considered for Wesleyan financial aid during their first two (2) semesters at Wesleyan. 
      Financial aid for foreign transfer students is not available. Applications from students who are not U.S. citizens nor U.S. Permanent Residents requesting financial aid will not be considered. Foreign students NOT requesting financial aid should submit documentation verifying sufficient personal resources or outside scholarships to meet the expense of your Wesleyan education. Please use the “International Student Certification of Finances” form and submit the completed form with your application.
  • Does Wesleyan take into account financial need when evaluating transfer applications?
    • Yes. Wesleyan is need-aware for transfer admissions, meaning that a student’s ability to pay will be taken into account for some portion of transfer admission decisions.
  • Is there a supplement to the Transfer application?
    • No, but be sure to submit the Mid-Term Report from the Common Application to provide an update on current academic progress (by April 10).
  • Does Wesleyan offer special consideration for Military Veterans?
  • How do I check on my application after I apply?
    • You will receive an email giving you instructions on how to access the application materials checklist.