Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I do if a Sheriff or Marshall arrives at my office and asks me to accept legal papers on behalf of the University?
You should refuse to accept the papers and direct the individual to the Office of the General Counsel. Please call the General Counsel’s office to let them know that someone is arriving and what matter it pertains to.
- What should I do if I receive correspondence from an attorney regarding a University matter?
Forward the information to the General Counsel. Please call the General Counsel’s office to provide any and all background information with respect to the matter in question.
- What should I do if I’m involved in or learn of a University incident or accident?
Report the incident or accident in accordance with the Wesleyan University Incident Reporting Policy found at [link].
- What should I do if I want to report activity which is in violation of University policy?
Report the activity in accordance with the Wesleyan University Whistleblower Policy found at [link].
- Who can I talk to about a personal legal matter?
The General Counsel does not represent individuals on personal matters. The General Counsel’s office may be able to refer you to possible outside attorneys.
- Are my conversations with the General Counsel privileged?
The General Counsel has a duty to represent the University and does not act as a legal advisor to individuals at Wesleyan. Generally however, the General Counsel has an ethical obligation not to disclose University matters to persons outside of the University’s ambit unless there is a threat of harm or if ordered by a court. The General Counsel’s obligations to the University may require disclosure of confidential matters to other University personnel or officials.
- Am I authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University?
Please refer to the Wesleyan University Contracting Policy which provides detail as to who is authorized to execute contracts on behalf of the University.
- How do I make an appointment to discuss a University legal matter with the General Counsel?
Call the General Counsel’s office at 860-685-3360 or email:email@example.com.