The Dean for Equity and Inclusion is available to meet with undergraduate students to discuss a host of topics about student academic and overall well-being. The Dean collaborates with the Department of Student Affairs and the Department of Academic Affairs to guide and support students and to provide information about resources and opportunities.
The Office of the Dean for Equity and Inclusion reports to the Chief Diversity Officer of Wesleyan University.
The Dean supports the institutional mission of access, equity, and inclusion through individual and collaborative advising and programmatic initiatives.
The priorities of the office includes coordinating academic partnerships that support students who are the first in their families to attend college, students who are from low-income backgrounds, and students from racial and ethnic backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented in American higher education. A brief listing of the partnerships are listed below:
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) Program
- C3 - Creating Connections Consortium
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalauret Achievement Program
- Upward Bound Math/Science and Prospect Program (pre-college)
- Quest Bridge Scholars Program
- Bridge to Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) (forthcoming, Summer 2014)
- POSSE (forthcoming, Summer 2014)
Professional and Career Development partnerships are also available through the office, including:
- Dwight Green Internships
- Student membership in the American Association of University Women (AAUW). The Office of Equity and Inclusion sponsors the annual participation of the incoming WU student chapter president to participate in the annual National Conference for College Women Student Leadership (NCCWSL) at the University of Maryland
The Dean chairs the Campus Climate Log Committee
The Campus Climate Log is an anti-bias on-line reporting and proactive diversity educational programming archival platform Campus Climate Log (accessible only if logged onto the Wesleyan network)
Additional committee collaborations includes: