PSI CHI APPLICATIONS!
When to apply to Wesleyan's Psychology Honors Society:
Applications become available after winter break, when classes resume. Pick up an application on the first floor of Judd, outside the mailroom in the display case, or click on the attachment below.
Applications are due on Wed., Feb. 19, 2014 at 4:00pm.
Please put completed applications in the application folder of the Psi Chi mailbox in the mailroom of Judd, 1st floor, Rm. 104, only from Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm.
Psi Chi is the National Honor Society in Psychology. Membership is open to graduate and undergraduate students, provided they meet certain standards required by Psi Chi and the Association of College Honor Societies (a governing body for college honor societies).
Membership in Psi Chi is an earned honor which lasts for life. A permanent record of your membership is preserved at the Psi Chi National Office and may be used for reference purposes in job and graduate school applications. The Psi Chi national membership fee is approximately $45, and arrangements to become a member are made by contacting local Psi Chi representatives at your school. This one-time fee is for lifetime membership, a certificate suitable for framing, and a membership card. There are no annual national dues, but each chapter may have fees.
When you are inducted into Psi Chi, you become eligible to wear the Psi Chi honor cord, medal, key pins, and other insignia. A quarterly Psi Chi newsletter is sent to each chapter for distribution to its members. Psi Chi members are eligible to present papers and posters at the national. regional, state, international, and local conventions. Members may participate in undergraduate and graduate research award competitions. The names of new members and activities of chapters are published in the newsletter and preserved for historical purposes.
Psi Chi at Wesleyan
WHAT WE DO
The Wesleyan chapter of Psi Chi acts as a "majors group" to discuss psychology and graduate school, and to be actively involved in the psychology department events. We also distribute information about the psychology department and provide information about jobs and graduate schools in psychology.
CAREER AND GRADUATE SCHOOL RESOURCES:
- Visit the Online Psychology Career Center,
- List of U.S. Psychology PhD Programs Ranked by Quality,http://www.socialpsychology.org/ranking.htm
- Get Tips on Creating an Academic Vita, http://www.socialpsychology.org/vitatips.htm
- Get Advice on Letters of Recommendation,http://www.socialpsychology.org/rectips.htm
- See the career and graduate school collection in the Psychology Library
WESLEYAN PSI CHI REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of at least 3 semesters or 5 quarters of college coursework.
- Completion of 3 semesters of psychology.
- Registration for major or minor standing in psychology or for a program psychological in nature which is equivalent to such standings.
- Undergraduates who are elected to Psi Chi must have an overall cumulative GPA of 3.00. They must also demonstrate superior scholarship in psychology, earning a minimum GPA in psychology courses of 3.00.
- Ranking in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship.
- For graduate students, an average of "B" or better in all graduate courses, including psychology.
- High standards of personal behavior.
- Two-thirds affirmative vote of those present at a regular meeting of the chapter.
To read more or visit other Psi Chi chapters, see Psi Chi Honors Society Information,
For further information about the Wesleyan chapter, email any of the officers.