Department and Course Field Trips

Revision date: October 29, 2023

Proposals for Field Trips MUST be in by the first week of September for fall trips, and by the first week of February for spring trips.

A limited budget is available for field trips. Priority is given to courses whose pedagogy requires the trip. Requests will be reviewed with the Academic Deans and are approved on a rolling basis. 

  1. Requests for class field trips should be sent to Lisa Sacks, Assistant Director for Curricular Initiatives (, as early in the semester as possible. Requests must include:
    • Course Number/Name
    • Professor
    • Course Enrollment (if requesting prior to close of drop/add use enrollment limit and send a finalized enrollment number once the class size is set)
    • Detailed description of activity/trip planned
    • Cost per student (e.g., 12 students x $12.00 per ticket = $144.00)
    • Transportation costs
    • Total cost for trip 
  1. Faculty must have each student sign a University Waiver (Permission, Waiver, Release and Indemnity Agreement) and submit those to Lisa Sacks. 
  1. Faculty who plan to transport students must adhere to University Motor Vehicle Operations Policy. All Drivers must complete the application to become an authorized driver prior to field trip.

Authorized Drivers

All Drivers must meet the minimum standards in order to operate University owned or leased vehicles. University vehicles include automobiles, vans, trucks, electric vehicles and/or golf carts. A list of qualified Drivers will be maintained by the University Transportation Manager and updated annually. The University reserves the right to withhold or withdraw the privilege of driving University vehicles in its sole discretion.

  • Licensure: Drivers must have a valid U.S. driver's license for at least 3 years and the license must be correct and appropriate to the vehicle to be used (endorsements, etc.).
  • Age: Drivers must be a minimum of 20 years of age.
  • University Application, Training and Testing: Drivers must
    • Complete a Wesleyan University Driver Application Form;
    • Attend a Wesleyan University Driver Training Session (minimum 1 hour);
    • Pass a Wesleyan University Driver Training Test with a score of 80% or better.
  • Record Check: To be eligible, Drivers must agree to subject themselves to a motor vehicle record check prior to driving and at least every 5 years thereafter. To be eligible to drive hereunder, the check must show a driving record that meets the following standards and is otherwise satisfactory in the University's sole discretion.
    • The record may not show more than three (3) moving violations and/or accidents in the most recent three (3) years.
    • The record may not show more than two (2) moving violations and/or accidents in the most recent year.
    • The record may not show any material convictions which shall include driving while under the influence, reckless driving, vehicular homicide or assault, eluding a police officer, fleeing the scene of an accident, racing or permitting a minor to operate a motor vehicle.
    • Drivers must report to the Transportation Manager any incident that occurs which would, if revealed in a record check, render that Driver ineligible hereunder.

Privately Owned Vehicles and Personal Use

  • Use of Privately Owned Vehicles for University Business.
    • The use of privately owned vehicles is discouraged for conducting University business or sponsored activity.
    • Individuals transporting others in their private vehicles (students, faculty or staff, community partners, etc.) on University business must become authorized Drivers and are subject to the requirements of this policy.
    • Any student who proposes to drive their privately owned vehicle on University business or for a University activity must obtain prior approval from the University Transportation Manager and become an authorized Driver.
    • Any Driver using a privately owned vehicle for University business or sponsored activity is fully responsible to maintain automobile liability as well as their vehicle in accordance with applicable law.
    • Individuals are responsible for the replacement of University owned items that are left in or contained in personal vehicles.
  1. Funds that are left unspent following a field trip should be returned to Academic Affairs for disbursement to other departments.