Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some questions that are commonly asked following an experience of intimate violence. If you have other questions not listed here or would like more information, see this list of resources to help you decide who you'd like to ask and how.
  • What should I do about preserving evidence of a sexual assault?

    The formal option for preserving evidence, whether someone decides to pursue a criminal legal investigation or not, is to have an Evidence Collection Kit completed at your local hospital emergency room.

    In deciding what options is best for you, it is recommended that an Evidence Collection Kit be completed within 120 hours (5 days)* of experiencing sexual violence.

    *This timeline is decided based on the degradation rate of DNA and biological material. 120 hours or 5 days is the recommended "window" to have the Evidence Collection Kit completed, because it is less likely that evidence will still be present outside of this window. 

    If this option feels like it is something you would like to explore, there are many individuals who can support you in accessing this resource.

    • A counselor at the Women and Families' Center (WFC) can accompany students to the Emergency Room and support you during the Evidence Collection Kit process. 
    • Public Safety can provide rides to the hospital
    • You can contact a Davison Health Center provider prior to visiting the ER, who can then alert the ER, and the ER staff can make sure appropriate support staff and a WFC Advocate is available for you.
    • CAPS Therapists and the Counselors/Advocates at the WFC are on-call 24/7, if you would like support after or before taking this step.
    • The SHAPE Director is available to answer questions or concerns you may have about the process in anticipation of going to the hospital. 

    You also have the right to access care at Davison Health Center for routine STI testing, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, and sexual health wellness exams. Please note, an Evidence Collection Kit cannot be completed at Davison Health Center.

    For information about your medical options following an experience of sexual assault, reviewing the SHAPE Office's website on Hospital Advocacy & Evidence Collection Kits may be helpful. 

  • What should I do if I am uncertain about whether what I experienced constitutes sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, or sexual harassment?
    If you believe that you have experienced interpersonal violence, and are unsure about what options you have or next steps you'd like to take, there are many supportive resources to access to explore possibilities with. Connecting with on-campus confidential resources like CAPS, Office of Religious & Spiritual Life Chaplains, the SHAPE Office Director, or Davison Health Center clinicians could feel like a supportive place to start. If you'd like information about supportive measures and to explore reporting options, connecting with Debbie Colucci, the Title IX Coordinator could feel like a good place to start. For more information about community and national resources, check out this resource page.
  • What is the role of a Process Advisor?
    In connection with an allegation of prohibited conduct under this Policy, and as defined in the Definitions document, each party may have a single advisor of their choice present during any formal disciplinary proceeding, including any related meeting, interview, or hearing, held pursuant to the Policy. The Process Advisor provides support, answers questions, and is present at the hearing to participate in any questioning of the student.
  • What is the role of the Investigator?
    When an investigation begins, the Title IX Coordinator will designate at least one investigator to conduct a prompt, fair, and impartial investigation of the reported conduct and prepare a report of investigative findings (the “Investigative Report”).  All investigators will be selected from a group of qualified and trained individuals employed by or engaged by the University for the purpose of conducting investigations under the Sexual Misconduct Policy.
  • What procedures and resources are confidential?

    Confidential Campus Resources will not share details of your narrative, and have to submit a Confidential Crime Report (which is de-identified and only mentions the type of experience, not the details). This form is for data collection purposes, required by the Clery Act.  For a full list of confidential resources, see this Resource Page offered by the SHAPE Office

    Non-Confidential Campus Resources are Wesleyan faculty and staff considered Responsible Employees. When a Responsible Employee learns of an experience of harm, they are required to contact Debbie Colucci in the Office for Equity & Inclusion, sharing identifying information and the nature of the conversation; however, this does not start an investigation. It results in outreach to the student via e-mail to further discuss resources for care and support on campus and in the communitycity. 

  • How do I file a report/Formal Complaint?

    The University follows through on its commitment to respond appropriately to sexual misconduct in different ways, as appropriate to the case at hand. 

    This includes a formal complaint process, as well as an informal resolution process, in which parties can seek to resolve their concerns outside of a more formal process.  If you decide to report this incident, we would begin the university judicial process; during this process you may bring an advisor of your choice to any and all meetings for support. In short, the university judicial process begins with meeting with The Title IX Coordinator to fully discuss the process and submitting a statement.  Once that statement is received, we would talk about informal and formal options and notify / speak with the other student involved.

  • Can I file a complaint with Wesleyan and also with the police? Can I do one and not the other?
    You may choose to file a complaint with the university, the Middletown Police Department, both or neither.  Wesleyan's Title IX Coordinator and/or Public Safety can answer questions about any of these processes.
  • Can I make a report anonymously?
    Yes.  The INCIDENT REPORTING FORM is one of several ways for members of the University community to report any type of incident that is concerning, harmful, and/or contrary to the Wesleyan's Community Standards; and there is an option to remain anonymous. However, if you choose to report an incident anonymously, the ability of the University to follow-up will be limited.

    Conversational advice about the situation and options also allows for some anonymity. However, if the reporting party is looking for an outcome; that person will need to take formal action through University investigation / adjudication processes and they may not remain anonymous as they will need to provide first-hand information to the investigator(s).
  • If I make an anonymous report, do I have to name the person who did harm to me?
    If submitting an anonymous report, you do not need to identify the individual.  Additionally, and important to understand, is that if you submit through this form and choose to remain anonymous, there can be no follow-up by the university.
  • Will a student be punished when reporting an experience of interpersonal violence if they have illegally used alcohol and/or other drugs?
    The health and safety of every Wesleyan student is of the utmost importance. We recognize that students who have been drinking and/or using drugs (whether use is voluntary or involuntary) at the time that violence occurs, including but not limited to domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault, may be hesitant to report incidents due to fear of potential consequences for their own conduct.  A person acting in good faith that discloses any incident of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, sexual harassment, or sexual assault to university officials or law enforcement will not be subject to a violation of the Code of Non-Academic Conduct.
  • Will the use of alcohol or other drugs as a part of my experience of interpersonal violence effect the outcome of my Title IX case?
    All individuals involved in investigating and adjudicating cases of sexual misconduct are well-trained.  This training includes, but is not limited to, the role of alcohol and other drugs, identifying coercion, and understanding trauma.  All of this is a part of the overall resolution of the report filed.
  • If I experienced interpersonal violence during an event/interaction that also violated the COVID Community Agreement, will I receive disciplinary action?

    We don’t want to discourage reporting of experiences of interpersonal violence, due to concern over COVID infractions. The health and safety of our students and the greater Wesleyan Community are of the highest priority in both situations. If you believe you've experienced interpersonal violence, please talk to someone about it. 

    In addition, there also may be situations in which further follow up and action from the university may apply if other folks are in danger (for example, a large party happened where multiple people could be at increased risk of COVID).