Major Declaration for Junior Transfers

If you are beginning your junior year, you will need to have a major in mind upon your arrival.  At Wesleyan, students are expected to declare a major during the second semester of their sophomore year.  Junior transfer students are expected to declare their major, which can be done through the “Major/Minor/Certification Declaration” link in the "Academics” bucket of your WesPortal. Please be aware that you may be required to meet with the department/program or provide further information.

Listed below are some frequently-asked questions and answers that may be helpful for junior transfer students.  More information is available on the Major Declaration page, including a list of Wesleyan majors and descriptions.

Can I have more than one major?

Yes, although you should consider carefully the impact this will have on the breadth of your academic program and graduation requirements. Your opportunity to take elective courses obviously decreases with an additional major. While the intention is often to expand one’s scope by double-majoring, the reverse may be the case as you find yourself needing to fulfill a requirement with every single course. Due to increased requirements, a student who declares two majors may not be in a position to pursue additional interests within the diverse Wesleyan curriculum.

What interdepartmental majors are possible?

Three types: standing interdepartmental majors, departmentally-sponsored interdepartmental majors, and University majors. For the last, a student may arrange a major program involving two or more departments with the approval of the University Major Committee. Click here for more information regarding the University Major.

What are my major requirements?

Major requirements are usually explained in terms of necessary credits and necessary courses or distribution of courses. Each department and program has its own set of requirements for completion of the major. An explanation of major requirements can be found on WesMaps under "Catalog Information." More specific information can be found on department and program homepages.  This information is updated annually in order to convey information that is as accurate as possible. Also, attend the Academic Forum during Orientation and arrange to talk with a departmental or program advising experts.

In addition to fulfilling the requirements of the major, are there other graduation requirements?

Of the 32.00 credits required for graduation (with no oversubscription), 16.00 must be earned at Wesleyan with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 74.00.  Four semesters of full-time residence at Wesleyan are required for junior transfer students. 

How many transfer credits (credits earned outside of Wesleyan) can I count toward my major requirements?

Each department and program has a different policy in this regard. Consult with the chair or with the designated advising experts in the department(s) in which you are interested. 

Can I take as many credits as I want in one department? What is oversubscription?

Even though you may take as many courses as you wish, it is important to understand that students can count toward the total of 32.00 credits required for the B.A. no more than 16.00 course credits in any one department. If a given course appears in more than one departmental listing, i.e., is cross-listed, it must be counted in all the departments in which it is listed.   Advanced Placement credits or credits earned elsewhere count toward the maximum credits allowed in any one department that can be counted toward the degree, and these credits can “oversubscribe” you.

Click here for more information regarding oversubscription.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

If you are a first-semester junior, you must complete your degree requirements in four Wesleyan semesters.

What are General Education Expectations?

The faculty has divided the curriculum into three areas: natural sciences and mathematics (NSM), the social and behavioral sciences (SBS), and the humanities and the arts (HA).   To experience the full dimension of intellectual breadth vital to a liberal education, Wesleyan students are expected to complete three GenEd designated courses in each of the three curricular areas.  Six of the nine courses must be in different departments.  Whether a course is designated “GenEd” is listed in Wesmaps.

What are the consequences of not satisfying the General Education Expectations?

Students who do not satisfy GenEd are not eligible to complete three majors or a combination of three majors, minors or certificates.  Not completing GenEds also means students are not eligible for University Honors or for election to Phi Beta Kappa. Also, some departments require fulfillment of GenEd for completion of the major or for eligibility for departmental honors.

See the honors website at

How will fulfillment of the General Education Expectations be monitored?

Transfer students will need to complete a General Education Equivalency form to determine whether or not courses taken at their former institution will be approved for Wesleyan GenEd credit.  Information on your progress towards fulfillment of GenEd will be found in the General Education Report available in WesPortal.