International Students

Summer Session classes are online and on campus. Housing is limited to matriculated Wesleyan students, so is not available to international students. International students should consider online courses. Students who are currently in the US on an F1 visa should contact their Designated School Official (DSO).

If you are considering joining us next summer, here is some helpful information.

Student Visas

International students are welcome to apply to take Summer Session courses. An F-1 Student Visa is required. 

  • Students currently studying in the US with F-1 status should check with their school's Designated School Official to clarify any visa questions or issues. 

  • Students who are not currently studying in the US with F-1 status will need to obtain a SEVIS Form I-20 and letter from Wesleyan supporting the application for an F-1 visa. Here are the steps you need to follow:
    • Check the website of the American Consulate or Embassy in your homeland for instruction on obtaining an F-1 student visa.

    • Upload the following documents into your application as soon as you accept your admission to Summer Session.
      • A copy of your passport page with your personal information and passport expiration date. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months past the end of the period of admission.
      • Proof that you or your family can financially support your studies. This can include tax returns from the past few years, official statement of salary paid, a letter on employer's business stationery or private accountant (if self-employed), and/or a bank statement with date account was opened, current balance in US dollars, average deposits and average balances.
        • Tuition, housing and dining costs for students currently in college can be found here.
        • You can request an emailed Cost of Attendance from Summer Session by emailing Glenn Knight your course selection and housing needs.

    • We will send you a SEVIS Form I-20 and letter supporting your F-1 visa application.

    • You will need to request an appointment from the nearest American Consulate or Embassy as soon as you receive your documentation from us. The consular officer who interviews you is required by law to assume that you intend to stay in the U.S. indefinitely.  Thus the burden of proof is upon you to convince the consular officer that you will return to your home country upon completion of studies.

    • Follow the instructions from the website of the American Consulate or Embassy in your homeland to obtain an F-1 student visa.
      • SEVIS Fee:The SEVIS fee of $200 U.S. dollars is required of all foreign nationals who come to the U.S. for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study in an educational institution.  It is payable one time for each single educational program in which an F-1 student participates, extending from the time the student is granted F-1 status to the time the students falls out of status, changes status, or departs the U.S. for an extended period of time.

        For additional information on SEVIS:

  • Please contact Glenn Knight at or 860-685-3345 if you would like additional information.

Health Insurance

As a Wesleyan Summer Session student, you are required to have U.S. health insurance that covers major illnesses and accidents within the United States. If you do not have such coverage with a U.S. carrier, you are required to purchase short-term health insurance. 

Many student insurance companies provide insurance for just one or two months' coverage. We list some below. We recommend that you select a U.S. insurance plan that covers routine, urgent, and emergency care for both inpatient and outpatient services.


Students whose native language is not English must provide an official TOEFL score report. It is expected that the score should be approximately 100 or higher to successfully complete a course at Wesleyan.

For more information, please contact us at or 860-685-2900.