Guidelines for Summer Language Support
In Summer 2017 the College of East Asian Studies will offer up to six scholarships of $2,500 each to study Chinese, Japanese, or Korean during the summer. We will offer two scholarships in each of our three target languages.
Please fill out the online Application Form by February 15, 2017. We hope to notify applicants of our decision by March 1, 2017.
We strongly recommend that you consult with your language professor prior to submitting an application to receive advice about programs that best suit your needs.
The following prerequisites and priorities have been established:
1. For 2017, we will be offering six scholarships of $2,500, two scholarships to study each of our three languages: Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
2. The summer course must be intensive, equivalent to at least one Wesleyan semester. A program equivalent to two semesters is best because it allows you to skip a whole year and enter a fall course easily.
3. You do not need to be a CEAS Major or Minor to apply.
4. Financial Aid students will be prioritized.
5. Students who have not received summer funding from CEAS previously will have priority.
6. Graduating seniors are not eligible.
7. After the summer study, recipients must continue their study of Chinese, Japanese, or Korean at Wesleyan or in a Wesleyan approved program.
8. If you would like your summer language courses to count for Wesleyan University Credit, you must fill out the appropriate forms at the Study Abroad Office.
9. If you would like your summer language courses to count toward your major, you must get approval from your advisor before you go abroad.
10. All students completing summer language classes must take a placement exam to continue with their language study at Wesleyan.
We recognize that $2,500 may not cover the entire cost of your summer language program. We urge you to talk with your language professors and the Study Abroad Office about alternative sources of funding. We have some relevant resources listed here.