The Fries Center for Global Studies (FCGS) will be here to support you during your time at Wesleyan. The FCGS is located on the second floor of Fisk Hall (Fisk 201). The Center includes a central common that is available to students. Your FLTA office is located above the FCGS, in Fisk 301. You will have access to Fisk 301 with your key (which your Host Department will give you).
  • How To Get To Campus


    • When planning your trip to campus from a local airport (including JFK International in New York City, NY or BDL in Hartford, CT) many travelers use CT Limo as a mode of transportation. Travelers are welcome to take a cab or other car service as well, but please be aware of costs.


    • For those arriving from EWR International in Newark, NJ, travelers can use the Amtrak Train to travel directly from the Newark Airport to New Haven, CT. Those traveling from New Haven to Middletown, often take a cab or use another car service. For other local transportation options, please visit this university resource for Area Transportation.
  • Graduate Housing

    Housing Options

    Graduate Students have the option to live in Wesleyan-owned housing or in units that are privately owned. The Office of Residential Life coordinates Wesleyan housing. The Office of Graduate Student Services posts announcements about privately owned housing options to a graduate student list serve.

    Wesleyan Housing

    Wesleyan housing is available to graduate students currently enrolled in a graduate program and their immediate family members (domestic partners/spouses and children or legal dependents). Rentals are organized through the Office of Residential Life.

    Types of Wesleyan Housing

    There are three options for Wesleyan graduate housing: one-person apartments, group housing, and family housing. Descriptions of available housing and rental rates are posted on the Office of Residential Life website:

    Applying for Housing

    It is recommended that you apply for housing as soon as possible. Every effort will be made to meet your housing preference; however, housing is provided on a space-available basis and is not guaranteed. Upon receiving notification of your assignment, you will be given the opportunity to decline Wesleyan University housing prior to signing your lease. The application is available

    Lease & Security Deposit

    Students must sign a binding lease with the University upon receiving keys for their unit. A security deposit of $200 is required upon signing the lease. Signing the lease indicates an agreement to live in Graduate Housing for the duration of one academic year. All leases end on May 31st of each year. 

    Rental Insurance

    We highly recommend that each resident of Wesleyan graduate housing consider purchasing a rental insurance policy. Information on a commonly used rental insurance policy can be found here:

    Important Dates

    Applications for Wesleyan graduate housing are due before July 1, 2017. Assignments for Wesleyan graduate housing will be made by mid-July. Wesleyan graduate housing will open on Tuesday Aug 22, 2017

    Contact Information

    If you have any questions, please contact Amy Alfano in the Office of Residential Life at 860-685-3550 or

  • Health Insurance

    University policy mandates that all students maintain health insurance in order to avoid potentially difficult and costly medical situations and to ensure that medical services outside the University Health Center are covered. Wesleyan provides the following options for health insurance coverage.

    Foreign Language Teaching Assistants must purchase the Gallagher Student Health Insurance Plan and may not elect to provide their own insurance. Questions related to the sigining up for Gallagher and coverages should be direct to Ms. Joyce Walter, Director of the University Health Center, at Questions related to immigration matters surrounding insurance should be directed to Ms. Jennifer Bomar in Academic Affairs at

    Gallagher Student Health

    Please see the Gallagher web site for policy information and rates:

    Graduate students selecting this plan are responsible for enrolling by the enrollment deadlines posted on the University Health Services web site 

  • Health Forms/Vaccination Information

    To fully qualify for enrollment, all incoming students must meet certain health standards set by the State of Connecticut and the University. These include compliance with vaccination against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, Meningitis and Tuberculosis blood testing and possible testing for Hepatitis B. You must also complete a health form (version for fall 17 matriculation available in late May) and found online at: 

    To simplify and facilitate the process of immunization compliance, Wesleyan’s Davison Health Center has organized a special clinic during which incoming graduate students should schedule a 20- minute visit with a Health Center Nurse. Please call 860-685-2470 or email to schedule an appointment. 

    Please refer below for the procedures and costs (you are responsbile to pay out of your own pocket). 

    • Procedure Cost Tuberculosis blood test: Lab Cost; if testing required
    • Hepatitis blost test: Lab cost, if testing required
    • Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccine confirmation: Lab cost, if titers required 
    • Varicella vaccine confirmation: Lab cost if titer required/ approxmiately $200 if vaccine required instead of blood titer
    • Meningitis vaccine required: Approximately $150, if needed

    If you fail to provide a health form or comply with the required screening, a hold will be placed on your enrollment and purchase of books. Please note - It takes about twenty-four hours for a hold to clear. 

    For more information: 

  • Stipend Information

    The 9-month stipend year for new graduate students runs from September 1 through May 31.

    Stipends are paid bi-monthly on or around the 15th and the 30th of each month. Half of each month’s rent will be deducted from each stipend payment for students that reside in university housing.

    The Payroll Office will assist new international students in determining your tax status while at Wesleyan. Please address questions relating to income taxes to the Payroll Office at Be sure to identify yourself as an international graduate student.

    Stipend Rates for Foreign Language Teaching Assistants are determined by each program. Students should refer to the offer letter for stipend information.

  • International Students U.S. Income Tax Information and Requirement

    Students who enter the United States in either an F-1 or J-1 visa status are usually considered nonresident aliens for income tax purposes during the first five calendar years present in the U.S. Compensation and miscellaneous payments may be subject to income tax withholding and/or reporting. Collection of information and data assists Wesleyan in determining a student’s tax residency status. Non-resident aliens are taxed under a separate set of IRS rules than U.S. citizens, permanent residents or resident aliens.


    • Provide personal information on a Foreign National Information Form (FNIF).
    • Provide copies of passport, visa, I-20/DS-2019and I-94 (print your I-94 from website:
    • Complete and sign U.S. Federal and CT state income tax withholding statements, or W4 forms. • Complete and sign a USCIS Employment Eligibility Verification, or I-9 form.
    • If applicable, sign a Tax Treaty Exemption Statement, or 8233 form. More than 60 countries have tax treaties with the U.S. If a treaty benefit is available to a student, the student may take advantage of the benefit and should sign a tax treaty form each year in January.
    • Sign a Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding, or W- 8BEN form. 

    Please note that initial income tax related documents will be collected during Orientation. Thereafter, income tax processing is administered in the university’s Payroll Office


    • Receive a W2 earnings statement from the Payroll Office each January. If a student receives a check from Wesleyan Payroll anytime during a calendar year, he/she will receive a W2 earnings statement the following January. Create a folder labeled “Wesleyan Income Taxes” and save all tax documents in a safe place.
    • Receive a 1042-S statement from the Finance Office each February. If a student receives a non qualified scholarship and/or a tax treaty exemption from Wesleyan during a calendar year, he/she will receive a 1042-S statement the following February. Save in the “Wesleyan Income Taxes” folder. A 1042-S form is not issued for a student who receives a qualified scholarship.
    • All students who receive either a W2 or 1042-S statement during a calendar year are required to file a U.S. federal income tax form, or 1040NR, by the following April 15th.
    • All students who do not receive income during a calendar year are required to complete a Statement of Exempt Individuals, or 8843 form, and submit to the IRS by the following June 15th.
    • Wesleyan provides its international students access and instructions to a web-based tax filing software called FNTR. We strongly recommend non-resident alien students use FNTR to prepare their 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ or 8843 forms. The software is easy to use and accurate. Instructions and passwords are provided to students by the Payroll Office every year during February/March.
  • WesCard

    Your WesCard is essential to access the University libraries, dining facilities, the Freeman Athletic Center, and any residence halls where you may reside. You also have the option of participating in the Middletown Cash Program, through which you may deposit and use money on your card to purchase meals at local restaurants, use laundry facilities on campus, purchase books or other items at the University Bookstore and participating Middletown merchants, and much more.

    For extensive information about your Wesleyan ID and instructions on how to obtain your Wesleyan ID, please visit our website at

    Contact: If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Cathy-Lee Rizza, Assistant Director of Student Accounts/WesCard Office at (860) 685-5300 or 

  • Electronic Communication


    There are three list-serves available for communication within the graduate community. In early June, new graduate students will receive a Wesleyan email address, username and password. This information will be sent to your personal email address. Your personal email address has been added to the list-serve for new graduate students (#1 below). You may use this list serve to ask questions. All new graduate students are on this list and will see emails sent to this address


    • Your personal email address was added to this list upon your acceptance.

    • All new, incoming students, administrators in the Office of Graduate Student Services, and a few current graduate student volunteers receive this list. • We use this list to communicate information to new incoming students. • You may not unsubscribe from this list.

    • You may post any questions you have about Wesleyan to this list.


    • This list is comprised of the Wesleyan email address of all graduate students.

    • This list will be used for important announcements from the Office of Graduate Student Services or from Wesleyan. • This list is not used to communicate information that is not official Wesleyan business i.e. rental advertisements and rideshare requests. • You may not unsubscribe from this list.

    • You may not post notices to this list.


    • This list is used for messages that are not official announcements from this office or from Wesleyan. It is for sharing informal information such as rental opportunities or rideshare requests. • The Wesleyan email addresses of all new incoming graduate students are added to this list.

    • You may unsubscribe from this list.

    • You may post to this list.

    •Students who have unsubscribed and would like to re-subscribe may contact Barbara Schukoske at

    Information Technology Services (ITS)

    Wesleyan’s investment in Information Technology is part of the overall commitment to the well-rounded liberal arts education for all students. We regard the ability to engage technology as one of the essential capabilities that Wesleyan graduates must develop for the 21st century. For more information about the technology and services offered to Wesleyan’s students, staff and faculty click on the following link: 

  • Planning for Arrival Expenses

    We recommend that you arrive prepared with access to approximately $2000 US dollars to get yourself settled at Wesleyan. Depending on your situation, you could incur expenses for the following:


    A $200 housing deposit is due when the student signs the lease. The deposit can be cash, money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or wire transfer. The deposit will be returned with interest when the student leaves University housing. Any charges incurred by Physical Plant or Residential Life will be deducted from the deposit. 


    University policy mandates that all students maintain health insurance. Graduate student health insurance premiums vary depending on the type of insurance that is selected. The fee for Gallagher Student Insurance is added to the student’s Student Account by the end of September. Wesleyan electronically sends a billing statement to every Wesleyan student account holder via the assigned Wesleyan email account. Each bill must be settled with Student Accounts within 30 days. The premium for students who enroll in Cigna insurance will be deducted from the student’s paycheck. For information on making payments to the Student Account:


    The State of Connecticut requires proof of certain immunizations. If you require lab tests or vaccines, the out-of-pocket costs are approximately $150-$350.


    The Transportation Department offers a free local grocery shuttle service every Sunday from 12:30pm-3:30pm. The van leaves from the Usdan University Center and travels to two local grocery stores -- Aldi and Price Chopper -- and returns to Usdan. The Graduate Student Association hosts a shopping trip during arrival week to bring students to local stores to purchase household items that you were not able to bring with you (i.e. bedding, kitchen supplies, etc). 


    Laundry facilities are available on campus. You swipe your WesCard or Mac-Gray Card (depending on your residence) to pay for using the washers and dryers. For information about laundry on campus:


    Books that are required for classes are sold at the University book store. Payment is via credit card, cash, or check. 


    $20 will be charged to each graduate student’s student account for the Graduate Student Association student activity fee. 


    Stipends are paid bi-monthly on the 15th of the month and the last day of each month.

  • Life in Middletown, Connecticut, USA

    Middletown, the hub of Middlesex County, is located on the Connecticut River, with easy access to major highways, airports, railroads and other modes of transportation. Our city's forty-two square miles include rural, suburban and urban settings, an historic downtown and large city-owned parks and open spaces. 


    For a list of important sites and locations in Middletown, click here for a list of resources, which includes banks, grocery, pharmacy, and more for visiting international scholars to be aware of while at Wesleyan University.

  • Did you know? Note for New Students to the USA


    The stipend dollar amount stated in your offer letter is the amount paid before taxes are withheld. Taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. 


    Tipping for many services is customary in the US. Be prepared to tip waiters at sit-down restaurants, bartenders, barbers/hairdressers, taxi drivers, and food delivery folks. You can calculate the tip as a percentage of your total bill: 15-20% is considered standard in most communities.