Writing Prizes and Fellowships
2015 Submission Instructions
- Application Form: Click on link below to complete the Google Doc application form
- Submissions:Send your submissions in one email if possible as Email Attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: Prize Submission
- Each submission must be:
- double-spaced with page numbers
- with the author's name, prize name and WesID on the first page.
- You may submit no more than one piece (a total of 30 pages) for each prize. Poetry submissions may be a collection of poems.
- One piece can be used for up to two different prizes if applicable (Example: one piece of fiction can be submitted for two different Fiction prizes.) However this same piece must then be submitted twice, once for each prize.
- Electronic File Format and Naming: Submit as PDF or RTF files with the following Name Format: Last Name_First Initial--Prize Name. EXAMPLE: Tinker_E--Horgan
- Application Form: Click on link above to complete Google Doc Application Form. Note: If you are also submitting for Writing Prizes you only need to complete this form once.
- Your project proposal should contain the following information:
- Cover Sheet: Title of Project, Name, WesID, Class Year, Major (if declared)
- Explanation of Project: 2-page double-spaced description; if you did not received an Olin award, what if anything would prevent you from completing the project?
- Itemized Budget: a detailed list of expenses with a request for a specific sum.
- Sample of written work (15 page maximum): this may be a creative or academic work, which ever best shows your preparation for the project you are proposing.
- Names of two Faculty References (written recommendations not necessary)
- Electronic submissions are preferred in PDF or RTF format
- Save as one file with the following file name: Last name_First Initial--Olin (Example: Tinker_L--Olin)
- Send as attachment to email@example.com with the Subject Line: Olin Fellowship
- Other Information:
- To view last year's winning applications please email Liz Tinker for permission to the WesFiles folder at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Awards will be announced by early May.
- If awarded the fellowship, a report on your project is due on the first day of classes in September.
Procedure: If you wish to apply for a Winchester Fellowship, please submit to the English Department office an application which includes:
- a letter describing how you plan to use the fellowship
- Transcripts: a copy of your Wesleyan transcript and transcript(s) for any graduate work you have completed
- Budget statement: An itemized listing of anticipated expenses. Please request a specific amount from the Winchester Committee.
- Recommendations:the names of two people who have agreed to supply letters of recommendation by the deadline below. If you are a senior or have not begun graduate school, these should be members of the English department. If you are already in graduate school, at least one letter must be from a member of your graduate department.
- Be sure to include your full name, address, phone number, Wesleyan WesID, and email if you are a current graduate student.
- Letters of recommendation can be sent as electronic files to: email@example.com with the Subject heading: Winchester Fellowship recommendation. Hard copy recommendations should be sent to: Attn: Liz Tinker, Winchester Fellowship, English Department, Wesleyan University, 294 High Street Middletown, CT 06459.
- Electronic submissions should be sent in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject heading: Winchester Fellowship.
- Hard copy submissions should be addressed: English Department, Winchester Fellowship, Wesleyan University, 294 High Street #204, Middletown, CT 06459, Attn: Liz Tinker