Change of Status

Interested in learning more about change of status options for after your F-1 status ends? Watch this recording of our "12 U.S. Work Visa Options for Your Post-OPT Career with Immigration Attorney Art Serratelli" (PASSCODE: 2NYQ?pk5) virtual workshop that we offered for Wesleyan F-1 international alumni on April 21, 2023. 

If your visa has changed from F-1 to another non-immigrant status or permanent resident/immigrant, you must notify OISA so that we may accurately update your SEVIS record. You may report your change of status through the International Student and Scholar (ISS) Portal.

Before making this request, please gather the following documents/information:

  • Your “Green Card” for those with Permanent Resident status
  • Your U.S. Passport for U.S. Citizens
  • Document proving your change of status for other non-immigrant visa holders

Log in to your ISS Portal account by clicking on LOGIN at the top right corner of the page. Use your Wesleyan credentials to log in.

Once logged in, click on the gray house icon located at the left side of the black navigation bar. Select Site Home from the drop-down menu. You will be redirected to the ISS Portal main page.

Select F-1 Student Requests from the menu on the left side of the page, then click on Change of Status Request from the menu choices on the next page. You will be asked to select the term that you are making the request for.

Make sure to carefully review the Announcements and Instructions sections on the page that you are redirected to.

In order to provide OISA with the information needed to complete your request, you will need to complete the following sections and requests:

Attached Documents: You will be asked to attach a scan of the appropriate document, based upon your new status. Please scan the front and back of “green cards” and upload them as one document. U.S. Citizens should attach a copy of the biographical page of their U.S. passport. Those who now hold a new status through another non-immigrant visa should attach a copy of document proving their change of status.

When you have completed each section of the Change of Status Request, click the Submit button at the top of the page.

If you start a request in the ISS Portal but are unable to complete it, you may return to this request at a later time. Do not start a new one. To return to an existing request, please go to your ISS Portal User Home Page.