Campus Employment

As an international student on an F-1 visa, you are allowed to work on campus without any special authorization from OISA. There are, however, specific rules and guidelines that must be followed when working on campus on an F-1 visa: 

  • During the regular semester (fall/spring), you may work only up to 20 hours per week. You may work more than 20 hours during official vacation periods (summer/winter break/spring break) when classes are not in session. If, however, you will take classes during an official break period, you will be subject to the 20-hour-per-week rule. 
  • Campus employment refers to jobs that are paid through Wesleyan payroll. If you are uncertain whether a job is considered “on-campus,” please check with OISA before starting the position. 
  • If you will work on campus, you are required to apply for a Social Security number
  • If you will work on campus, you will be required to file a tax return


Wesleyan Student Employment Office  - Find a job on campus

Social Security Information - How to apply for a social security number   

Tax Information - U.S. tax information