Social Security and ITIN Information

Social Security Number (SSN) Information

If you work in the U.S., you are required to obtain a SSN. The U.S. government issues a SSN for income tax and compensation purposes. You must apply for a SSN upon your initial job offer. 

Important to Remember:

  • Your SSN is your unique U.S. identification number and is yours for life. 
  • While it does not infer work authorization, it can be used for any work that you have authorization for in the U.S. 
  • A SSN is not required to open a bank account, rent an apartment, or apply for a driver’s license.
  • You are only eligible for a SSN if you earn compensation for services.
  • You may begin working prior to obtaining a SSN, but must apply for one within 30 days of receiving your first paycheck.
  • You may apply for a SSN up to 30 days prior to beginning a campus job or a Curricular Practical Training (CPT)-authorized internship.
  • You should protect your SSN card and number from loss and identity theft. Do not carry your card with you.  Keep it in a secure location and only take it with you when you must show it for identification or work authorization purposes (to obtain a new job, open a new bank account, etc.)
  • Do not allow others to use your social security number as their own. 
  • For more information about your SSN, please see the Social Security Matters website.  

How to Apply

1. Obtain a completed and signed F-1 On-Campus Employer Letter from your hiring department supervisor

2. Request an F-1 Status Verification Letter through the International Student and Scholar Portal (see instructions below)

3. Take the following documents to the Social Security Administration office within 5 business days of obtaining your OISA signed F-1 Status Verification Letter:

  • Completed Form SS-5 Social Security Application (do not remove the Wesleyan address from line 16). Most likely you will not fill in 9B, 10B, 11, 12, and 13, but you must include your mother’s maiden name and your father’s name.
  • Passport
  • F-1 Visa
  • I-20
  • Most recent I-94
  • Supervisor signed F-1 On-Campus Employer Letter
  • OISA signed F-1 Status Verification Letter (this letter verifies you are a full-time student and eligible to work at the university)

Bring all of the documents listed above to the Social Security Office (425 Main Street, 3rd Floor, Middletown, CT 06457). The office is upstairs, above Fujiya Ramen.

Your SSN card will be mailed to the Foreign National Tax Office within 15 business days after your visit to the Social Security Office. You will be notified to pick up your card once it arrives. If you do not hear from the Foreign National Tax Office within 30 business days after you submit your application, please email Christine Rodrigue (

Request an F-1 Status Verification Letter from OISA

Students should request an F-1 Status Verification Letter through their International Student and Scholar (ISS) Portal account.

Before making this request, please gather the following documents/information:

  • F-1 On-Campus Employer Letter or Most Recent Paystub (Required)
  • Most recent I-94 Record (Required)

Log in to your ISS Portal account by clicking on LOGIN at the top right corner of the page. Use your Wesleyan credentials to log in.

Once logged in, click on the gray house icon located at the left side of the black navigation bar. Select Site Home from the drop-down menu. You will be redirected to the ISS Portal main page.

Select F-1 Student Requests from the menu on the left side of the page, then click on F-1 Status Verification Letter from the menu choices on the next page. You will then be asked to select the term that you are making the request for.

Make sure to carefully review the Announcements and Instructions sections on the page that you are redirected to.

In order to provide OISA with the information needed to complete your request, you will need to complete the following sections and requests:

Attached Documents: You will be asked to attach a scan of your F-1 On-Campus Employer Letter or most recent Paystub. Please also upload your most recent I-94 Record. To obtain your most recent I-94 Record, please visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)’s website.

Learning Content: Please review information about protecting your identity and Social Security Number as well as important Social Security Administration documentation.

When you have completed each section of the F-1 Status Verification Letter request, click the Submit button at the top of the page.

If you start a request in the ISS Portal but are unable to complete it, you may return to this request at a later time. Do not start a new one. To return to an existing request, please go to your ISS Portal User Home Page.

Upon processing your request, OISA will email you your F-1 Status Verification Letter.


Social Security Application Form

 F-1 On-Campus Employer Letter

For additional information about Social Security, check the SSA website​

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Information

If you are not eligible to apply for a SSN, you may apply for an ITIN. Generally, an ITIN is used when you are receiving taxable income from a scholarship or interest-bearing account, or if you have a spouse who is claiming you as a dependent on an income tax return. 

For more information about an ITIN, please see the IRS website.