GENERAL ACCOUNTS PAYABLE INFORMATION
Checks, Check Runs & Deadlines
The Accounts Payable department has a check run once a week on Fridays. Vouchers received in the AP inbox by 4 pm on Monday, can be paid that same Friday. Keep in mind Wesleyan's Net terms. A voucher that has not met the Net term will need a request to be paid earlier. This request must be made in the "Instruction to AP" field on the voucher.
Please read the Monthly Financial Newsletters or emails from AP for early holiday or year end deadlines.
A/P checks marked "dept to pickup" are available to be picked up in the Accounts Payable department during the following hours:
- Thursday: 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- Friday: 8:30 - 4:00 pm
It is the responsibility of the requestor to know when a check is to be picked up. A check marked as "dept to pickup" will be mailed directly to the payee if it has not been picked up by Friday at 4 pm for the week requested.
We request that you not hold vouchers for last minute submission. Please send us your vouchers as you receive and complete them.
Wesleyan does not pay by a statement, you need to have the original invoices from the vendors and original receipts when requesting a reimbursement.
- A Travel Advance request or the clearing of a Travel Advance is submitted directly to Tami Sabo in the Financial Office. See Travel Policy
- A Travel Expense Reimbursement is submitted into the WFS system on a voucher. See Travel Policy
- Mileage rate - The University will reimburse transportation costs to the extent such costs exceed the normal daily cost to commute to their office. The University will reimburse for business miles driven in a personal vehicle.
- When processing a Travel or AP Voucher for a Non-US Citizen, vouchers must be submitted directly to Christine Rodrigue in the Finance Office. See Policies & Procedures for Paying & Employing Non U.S. Citizens at Wesleyan
- When processing performance payments greater than $1000 for Athletes or Entertainers living outside Connecticut are subject to 6.7% State of CT A&E Tax withheld from the payment.
- Vendors who require payments in foreign currency must submit the request on a Foreign Wire Request Form.
Payment requests must include appropriate approval as follows:
Vendors - Payments greater than $500 require two signatures to certify the following:
- Validity of the expense – the product was received or work performed as expected
- Accounting – the account number is appropriate with available budget
- Compliance – the expenditure is compliant with applicable policies and regulations (e.g., payments to non US citizens, restricted accounts and grant awards)
One signature is acceptable only if the total invoice amount is less than $500 and with department approval. Payment requests greater than or equal to $500 must be signed by two people. Generally, the two signatures would be that of the purchaser and the supervisor, department head or fiscal manager
Payments made to Wesleyan employees via Accounts Payable are generally made when the employee requests a travel reimbursement, travel advance or reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses. Requests must be supported by original documentation, including the business purpose of the purchase. (Note: Students are not considered University employees for this purpose.) Payments made to Wesleyan employees for services performed must go through Payroll.
These payments are generally made to independent contractors for services performed, honoraria, travel reimbursements or athletes and entertainers. Requests must be supported by original documentation. (Note: Students are not considered University employees for this purpose.)
Payments to students are generally made for expense reimbursement. Requests must be supported by original documentation. (Note: students are not considered University employees for this purpose.) Refer to the Payroll website for making payments to students for hours worked.
Questions concerning these policies may be directed to Tamara Harley, x2843 or Crystal Flores, x2842.