Finances and Funding 

Wesleyan aims to make study abroad accessible to all students regardless of their financial situation. For this reason, students on Wesleyan financial aid will receive aid for semester and year-long study abroad programs. 

Please share this webpage as soon as possible with your loved ones so they can be made aware of Wesleyan's billing and financial aid policies for study abroad. 


  • How will I be billed for my term abroad?

    Semester and year programs: All Wesleyan students on semester and year-long study abroad programs are billed for Wesleyan tuition in the same amount as when you are on campus. If your semester or year-long study abroad program provides housing, you will also be billed by Wesleyan for your program's cost of room/board. You will not be billed for Wesleyan’s Residential Comprehensive Fee. You will not be billed directly by the program provider except for the program deposit and possibly supplemental housing fees if you opt into a higher-cost housing option.  

    While studying abroad through the Fries Center for Global Studies for a semester or year, you are fully enrolled at Wesleyan in the category of non-resident study (NRS). The credits and grades earned from coursework abroad appear on your transcript the same as if the courses were completed on the Wesleyan campus and are counted towards your Wesleyan degree. You may use your financial aid to defray the cost of your semester or year, just as you would on campus, and you have access to the same support available to you on the home campus. The semester or year abroad is part of your Wesleyan degree. For all these reasons, Wesleyan students are billed for Wesleyan tuition while enrolled on a program abroad. 

    Summer and winter programs: Students studying abroad on summer and winter programs will be billed directly by the provider for all program costs, including the provider's cost of tuition and room/board. 

  • What expenses will I have to pay for out of pocket?

    Semester and year programs: If you’re attending a semester or year-long program, you will be charged Wesleyan tuition and your program’s cost of room/board (if applicable) on your student account. All other expenses must be paid for out of pocket. Your financial aid may assist with these out-of-pocket expenses if your award permits.  

    Typical out-of-pocket expenses (if not provided by the program):

    • Airfare
    • Housing and food
    • Local transportation
    • Books and supplies
    • New passport fees 
    • Visa fees 
    • Immunizations 
    • Miscellaneous costs such as laundry, toiletries, haircare, etc. 
    • Vacation/breaks, gifts, postage, and phone charges (not covered by financial aid) 

    You can see what previous study abroad participants have paid for out of pocket through the Student Program Evaluations in WesPortal. The Finances section is at the bottom of each evaluation.

    Summer and winter programs: If you are studying abroad on a summer or winter program, all expenses (including tuition and room/board) must be paid for out of pocket.  

  • Do I have to pay a deposit to confirm my participation in my program??

    Semester and year programs: If your study abroad program requires a deposit, Wesleyan will automatically cover this for you up front. If your program provider asks you to pay a deposit directly, please contact for assistance.

    Please note, if you withdraw from study abroad after your program's deposit refund deadline, you will be charged for the deposit along with any other non-recoverable costs on your Wesleyan student account. 

    If you accidentally pay your program's deposit, please notify the OSA so we can credit your student account for the deposit when your semester bill is posted. 

    Summer and winter programs: If your study abroad program requires a deposit, you will be billed directly by the program provider.

  • Will I have to buy international insurance for my term abroad?

    Semester and year programs: If your semester study abroad program charges for insurance, Wesleyan will cover that expense for you. If your program does not provide international insurance or provides a limited insurance, Wesleyan will provide you with study abroad insurance free of charge. This insurance is accessible through our travel assistance partner, International SOS. Before your program begins, we will send you a card which will allow you to access insurance and the other benefits International SOS provides. 

    Summer and winter programs: Students studying abroad on summer/winter programs whose program provides insurance will be billed directly by the provider for all program costs, including insurance. If your summer/winter program does not provide international insurance or provides a limited insurance, Wesleyan will provide you with study abroad insurance and International SOS free of charge. 

Financial Aid and Funding

  • Will I receive my Wesleyan financial aid for my term abroad?

    Semester and year programs: Students on Wesleyan financial aid will receive aid for semester and year-long study abroad programs. The amount of aid will depend on your eligibility and cost of attendance of the program. Whatever your parent contribution is while on campus will remain the same while you are abroad. For students attending programs that are more expensive than Wesleyan's cost of attendance on campus, additional Wesleyan grant aid will be given (if the student is grant eligible) so the parent contribution for the semester will remain the same.

    Summer and winter programs: Institutional financial aid is not available for short-term (summer and winter) study abroad, but you may be able to find outside scholarships or Wesleyan grants to help finance summer or winter programs. 

  • How will my financial aid award be calculated for my term abroad?

    Semester and year programs: The Office of Study Abroad will put together a budget sheet that outlines the estimated costs of your term abroad. This budget sheet includes tuition, room and board, airfare, books, visa fees, and more. View a sample study abroad budget sheet.  

    The OSA will send your customized budget sheet to you and the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will calculate your award and send you the details directly.  

    Please note that study abroad budget sheets are created based on estimates provided by each program/university. It’s possible that you will spend more or less than the estimates on your budget sheet. While abroad, if you find you're spending more than the estimates on your budget sheet, please contact 

  • How is my parent contribution calculated for my term abroad?
    Semester and year programs: The parent contribution for your term abroad is calculated in the same manner as if you were on campus. If your study abroad program is for one semester, one-half of the full year contribution will be expected.  
  • What if my financial aid award covers more than tuition and housing? Will I get additional aid to help with some of my out-of-pocket expenses?

    Semester and year programs: All financial aid funds will be disbursed to your Wesleyan account. If the financial aid total creates a credit balance on your account, you can request that the excess be sent to you via direct deposit.  

    All normal requirements must be met for funds to be disbursed. Listed below are documents or activities you should be sure are complete before leaving the United States. You are encouraged to check with the Financial Aid Office to make sure no documents are missing. 

    • Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN): Check with the Financial Aid Office, to be sure it is complete.
    • Wesleyan Loan Promissory Note: Check with the Student Loan Office, 1st floor, North College, to be sure it is complete.
    • All other required documents are submitted (such as the Verification Worksheet, tax returns, etc.): Check with the Financial Aid Office.
  • Does Wesleyan offer any study abroad scholarships?

    Wesleyan does not offer any study abroad-specific scholarships but some departments and centers on campus offer funding that may be applied to international experiences. 

    Wesleyan Summer Grants are funding resources awarded through the Gordon Career Center which allow students to pursue no- or low-pay career-related summer experiences in the U.S. and abroad. 

    The College of East Asian Studies offers scholarships for the study of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean during the summer. 

    The German Studies department maintains a webpage with grants, fellowships, and prizes for students who demonstrate excellence in the study of German. 

    The Davenport Study Grants provide funds to support student research and other student scholarly projects in public affairs. 

    The Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship offers several Social Impact and Entrepreneurship Grants for summer projects. 

    The Writing Certificate awards prizes for writers of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, and offers fellowships supporting summer projects, attendance at the Wesleyan Writers Conference, and graduate study. 

  • Will an outside scholarship impact my financial aid?

    Semester and year programs: An outside scholarship will not reduce or replace your Wesleyan parent contribution. However, outside scholarships can be used to reduce or replace a loan and/or summer work study expectation. If outside scholarships exceed the amounts of the above items, your Wesleyan scholarship will be adjusted dollar-for-dollar to ensure that your total aid does not exceed your program's cost of attendance. 

    If you have additional questions about this, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

    Summer and winter programs: Students studying abroad on summer and winter programs will be billed directly by the provider for all program costs. Wesleyan financial aid is not available for short-term (summer and winter) study abroad, but you can find outside scholarships or Wesleyan grants to help finance summer or winter programs. Any scholarship funds you receive for a summer/winter program will be paid directly to you.

  • Where can I find outside scholarships for my term abroad?

    There are hundreds of study abroad scholarships offered by program providers, government departments, and private organizations. These scholarships look great on a resume and often come with lifelong benefits beyond the financial award. 

    First, check with your program provider to see if they offer any scholarships. Here are some other helpful scholarship databases:

    University of Minnesota has an extensive study abroad scholarship database. Filter for “Non-U of M students” to find scholarships. 

    University of Kansas has a scholarship handbook that outlines hundreds of scholarship opportunities for study abroad. 

    All Abroad maintains a list of numerous scholarships for students with diverse backgrounds. 

    Diversity Abroad maintains a searchable database of study abroad scholarships for study abroad. 

    Fund for Education Abroad seeks to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population.

    Frederick Douglas Global Fellowship is a fully funded summer study abroad program designed for students of color as part of CIEE’s commitment to open doors for all students from all backgrounds.


  • What form of payment should I use abroad?

    Payment methods (cash, card, etc.) vary around the world. Your program provider can share with you what payment methods are used most often by students on your program.  

    You can also see recommendations from previous study abroad participants through the Student Program Evaluations in WesPortal. The Finances section is at the bottom of each evaluation.

    Some things all study abroad students regardless of destination should note: 

    • You should notify your bank about your upcoming travel dates. You don’t want to arrive in-country and find your card has been frozen! 
    • If possible, try not to use the exchange bureaus in the airport of your destination country. Their exchange rates are not favorable, and you may be charged additional fees. There are usually ATMs at the airport that provide better rates. 
    • Don’t carry a large amount of cash. Pickpocketing is common, especially in tourist destinations. If you must carry cash, do so in small amounts and keep it in a secure place. 
    • It’s wise to share your debit/credit card numbers with someone you trust at home just in case you lose them while you’re abroad.