General Timeline for Your Career at Wesleyan

First Year

F-1 students may work on campus without prior OISA authorization. Note that if you will have paid employment, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number

During your first year, you should attend a Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Workshop to prepare for doing an internship as an F-1 student. 

Sophomore Year

F-1 students may apply for CPT to engage in internships internships related to your degree program/major beginning in the second year of study. Keep in mind that you are able to use CPT up to two times only during your career at Wesleyan. 

During sophomore year, students should also attend the Choosing Majors and Careers for F-1 Visa Holders Workshop.

Junior Year

Students in their junior year remain eligible for CPT

During your junior year, attend the Optional Practical Training (OPT) Workshops to begin learning about your options for after graduation. 

Senior Year

Students in their senior year remain eligible for CPT

During senior year, students should begin preparing to apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).  Attend the Optional Practical Training (OPT) Q&A to answer your questions about the application process.