Declaring the Music Major
Students interested in becoming a Music Major will complete the following steps in the Spring semester of their sophomore year. An audition is not a requirement for declaring the major. The Music Major Open house is typically held in February and notification of the Open House is posted in the Music Studios Lobby.
To Become a Music Major:
- Attend the Music Major Open House if possible to pick up required paperwork and to be assigned an advisor.
- If you didn't attend the Open House see Sandy Brough (Music Studios 109) to be assigned an advisor and pick up the required paperwork
- Fill out the In-House Concentration Form
- Music courses already taken - inlcude the semester and the grade.
- Project music courses you intend to take by using the course lists provided. Use the same lists to project for junior and senior year.
- On the back side of the form include courses taken outside of Music. Include courses already taken and courses that you are currently taking. You do not need to project future courses here.
- Indicate whether you are planning a senior project or Honors Thesis
- Make an appointment and meet with your assigned music advisor prior to Monday March 4th. Fully complete the In-House Concentration Form.
- Have your music advisor sign the completed form.
- Turn your In-House Concentration Form (signed only by you and your advisor) to Sandy in Music Studios 109.
- Put the request in your portfolio to declare the Music Major.
5. After March 28th, you will receive formal notification if you have been approved as a Music Major by the faculty.
Please contact Sandy Brough firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.