Frequently Asked Questions

  • I have a hard time believing my sessions with a CAPS therapist are confidential. Don't the therapists at CAPS talk to the deans all the time?
    The staff at Counseling and Psychological Services do speak with the deans all the time, as well as with Public Safety and other Wesleyan administrators and staff. However, our communications about our therapy clients are governed by confidentiality law. We do not disclose the content of sessions without explicit permission from our therapy clients, except in the cases in which we judge there is imminent risk to our client or to other people. We do believe in the importance of open communication, however, and we often encourage students to discuss their problems with their class deans, parents, coaches, etc., if we think this may be helpful to them.
  • I'm afraid to be totally honest about how much I am struggling right now, because I don't want my therapist to send me home. I've heard about students who are sent home by CAPS even when they want to stay in school. Is that true?
    If you are concerned a CAPS therapist may "force" you on a medical leave if you are totally honest about your struggles, it will be important for you to read the Medical Leave section of this website. In the vast majority of cases, students who go on medical leave make a conscious and willing decision to do so, often after conversing with their CAPS therapist and/or their class dean. In these cases, the students come to realize that their emotional struggles are preventing them from functioning at a minimally acceptable level here at Wesleyan, and it is best for them to take time off to fully focus on treatment and resolve their emotional concerns before returning to school. It is extremely unusual for a student to be "forced" to take a medical leave. On these rare occasions, the CAPS therapist has determined that the student presents an imminent risk of harm to themselves or the campus community and is not currently demonstrating adequate judgment to make the best decision for him or herself.
  • Can I request a different therapist if I don't click with the first person I see?
    Of course! A therapeutic relationship is like any other relationship – if the right chemistry isn't there, the relationship won't work. You can talk with your therapist about trying someone else, meet with our case manager to review therapist options, or you can call the main number at 860.685.2910 and ask to be matched with someone new. If you are requesting a particular individual, you may find you need to wait until they have an open time slot that works with your schedule. In this case, you will need to make a decision about whether you are struggling so much you need to be seen immediately, in which case you may not see the person of your choice, or if you can manage your difficulties on your own while you wait for the person you want. 
  • Does my Wesleyan insurance cover me if I see a therapist in the community?

    If you have Wesleyan insurance mental health services are covered as any other condition.  You will be responsible for a co-pay of $30 per visit for an in-network provider and insurance will pay 60% of the usual and customary fee for an out of network provider.  If you have insurance from other sources (for example, your parent's insurance) it is probable that information about the claim (including the outside provider's name and address) will be forwarded to the primary insurance holder (parents). Diagnosis may also be included.

    Insurance questions can be directed to Caitlin Murphy, Health Center Director at 860.685.2656 or

  • Can CAPS help me locate a therapist in the community?
    Of course. Please see the "community resources" section of this website for a list of therapists located nearby Wesleyan. Feel free to make an appointment with our CAPS case manager for guidance and support in identifying providers who may be a good fit. We are also very interested to hear about your experiences with community providers so we can be a better source of information for other students looking for community referrals.
  • What if I would like to try medication?
    CAPS has a full-time psychiatric APRN (advanced practice registered nurse) who provides medication management. Students who are interested in medication must meet initially with a therapist to discuss this option and then see our APRN to begin treatment. Even if you are only interested in medication and do not want therapy, we require that you check in regularly with one of our therapists so that we may monitor your progress on the medication. Please note, while our therapeutic services are covered by the cost of tuition, medication prescriptions are not. Students pay for medication with Wesleyan insurance, parents' insurance, or out-of-pocket. When parents' insurance is used, documentation regarding the prescription may be sent to the student's home address. If you are concerned about your parents' reaction to taking medication, and prefer to keep this information private, be certain to discuss this issue with your CAPS therapist before filling the prescription.
  • I am pretty sure I have ADD. Can I get stimulant medication from the CAPS APRN?
    That depends. As you may know, stimulant medications have a strong potential for abuse. For that reason, we are very careful about dispensing prescriptions for these medications. If you are already on a stimulant for ADD and you provide us with a copy of your neuropsychological testing supporting this treatment, we will be happy to take care of your refills while you are at Wesleyan. If you are not currently taking this kind of medication but suspect you may benefit from it, we will need you to complete a neuropsychological evaluation in order to determine whether you in fact have attention deficit disorder. Our CAPS case manager can assist students in connecting with community resources for neuropsychological evaluations.
  • I am worried about one of my friends and I am not sure what to do. Can I come in to CAPS to talk about it?
    Absolutely. We are very happy to consult with Wesleyan students, administrators, faculty, and staff about students of concern. If you do not feel comfortable disclosing your friend's name, you need not do so. We will talk through the situation with you and help you consider the possible ways you may help your friend. Remember, if you suspect the situation may be an emergency do not wait for a routine appointment. Speak immediately to a ResLife staff member, call PSafe, or contact the CAPS emergency on-call clinician. In emergency situations, you need not be concerned about your friend's right to privacy. Your friend's safety and the safety of others is far more important.