Human Resources

Other Information

Medical/Dental/Vision Pre-Tax Premium Payment Plan

A participant in a medical, dental or vision plan is deemed to have elected to have his or her salary reduced by an amount equal to the participant’s share of plan costs and to have Wesleyan pay that share on a pre-tax basis. Medical or dental plan coverage cannot be changed other than during open enrollment, unless employment terminates or there is a change in family status such as marriage, divorce, death of your spouse/qualified domestic partner or child, birth or adoption of a child, termination or commencement of employment of a spouse, significant change in medical or dental insurance coverage attributable to a spouse’s employment, etc. The pre-tax premium payment plan does not apply to medical, dental  and vision plan contributions for a qualified domestic partner or the partner’s dependents unless he or she qualifies as the employee’s dependent for federal income tax purposes.

Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance

Changes During the Annual Open Enrollment Period

  • During open enrollment each fall, you may:
  • Begin medical, dental and vision insurance coverage.Choose a different medical plan.
  • Add or terminate dependents from your plan(s)
  • Terminate coverage

Changes made in medical, dental and vision insurance during open enrollment will be effective the following January 1. Your current medical, dental and vision coverage will continue during the next calendar year unless you change coverage during open enrollment.

Qualifying Events

Changes cannot be made at times other than open enrollment except during the 30 days immediately following certain changes in family status or when there is a loss of creditable coverage (Qualifying Event) Examples of Qualifying Events:

  • Marriage, divorce or legal separation
  • You or an eligible dependent had health care coverage under another health plan, but lost that coverage
  • Birth or adoption of a child
  • You were participating in another plan, but are no longer eligible for that plan
  • Death of a spouse or child
  • You were participating in another plan, but the employer has stopped contributing to that plan
  • Termination or commencement of your spouse's employment. 

Life Insurance

You may enroll in or cancel your voluntary life insurance plan at any time during the year. In order to be eligible to increase coverage you need to submit evidence of good health by filling out a Personal Health Application, which asks specific questions about your health. If your spouse/domestic partner wishes to increase coverage, they will need to fill out the application, as well.  Once completed, you would be responsible to send the form directly to The Hartford. The Hartford will inform you in writing if your application is accepted.

Terminating your Coverage

You are able to cancel your life insurance at any time. If you cancel your coverage and wish to re-enroll in the future, you will be required to complete a Personal Health Application to apply for coverage.