The Wesleyan University community is home to numerous international undergraduate students. However, Graduate Liberal Studies is a small program, originally designed for local or commuting adult students. The program’s flexible scheduling options are ideal for working adults, or students who wish to study full-time during summers only. A small number of students do attend the program as full-time students, including students who relocate to pursue their studies. Because Graduate Liberal Studies is not designed as a residential program, international students may find certain aspects of the relocation process challenging (i.e., housing, transportation). That said, to the best of our ability, we are happy to assist international students in joining Wesleyan’s GLS program.

Visa Status

Current F1 visa status is required for international students who wish to study at Wesleyan University. Students who already hold an F1 visa should contact their designated school official to clarify any visa questions or issues. International applicants who require an I-20 from Wesleyan should contact Mary Kelly, GLSP's associate director of finance and administrative services. Please note that international students must pursue full-time study.


Consideration for international students who require an I-20 may end prior to the application deadline. Please contact our office at to request the official deadline for international students for the term for which you are applying. 

English Language Proficiency

All students for whom English is not a first language are required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score as part of their application. Graduate Liberal Studies is a reading- and writing-intensive program. The minimally acceptable TOEFL score for graduate work is 100, and the minimally acceptable IELTS score is a 7. International students who hold a BA from an English-medium post-secondary institution may have this requirement waived upon completion of an admission application. 

Health Insurance

All international GLS students are required to have U.S. health insurance that covers major illnesses and accidents within the United States. If you do not have such coverage with a U.S. carrier, you are required to purchase short-term health insurance. Many student insurance companies provide this type of coverage. Wesleyan works with Gallagher Koster for student insurance. To acquire international student short-term coverage, please visit Gallagher Koster.