Semester and Full-Year Study Abroad

Experience living in East Asia and use of language in its appropriate cultural context is viewed as a vital component of East Asian studies.  Accordingly, although not required, all CEAS majors are expected to study abroad to develop their language competency and acquire a more concrete grasp of a specific East Asian cultural context.  This expectation may be fulfilled through a semester or one year in an approved program.  Students should contact their faculty advisor and relevant language faculty for assistance in selecting an appropriate program. This is typically done in the Junior year, and typically at one of the approved programs listed on the Office of Study Abroad website.  Questions about study abroad should be addressed to Prof. Wei Gong (China), Prof. Naho Maruta (Japan), or Prof. Hyejoo Back (Korea).  Please note that all study abroad programs require letters of recommendations, and students should request those letters from faculty at least two weeks before the application deadlines.

Students wishing to obtain Wesleyan credit for language courses taken at other institutions must obtain pre-approval from the appropriate language faculty member (Chinese: Prof. Gong, Japanese: Prof. Maruta, Korean: Prof. Back).  This is true for all language courses not taken as part of an approved semester/year study abroad program. In all cases, students must take a placement test to find the correct level after they return. Students interested in receiving major credit for study abroad work should also consult their major advisors. 

Summer Language Study Abroad

The College of East Asian Studies encourages students to take advantage of opportunities for summer language study whenever possible. The intense, immersion programs that are offered both in the US and in East Asia give students unparalleled opportunities to make rapid progress in their language learning.

In order to help make summer language study more possible, the CEAS offers limited financial support for summer language study; for details, see here. For other information about summer internships and other opportunities in East Asia, see here.

For information on the best summer programs, students can consult the Office of Study Abroad website, the Language and Co-Curricular Coordinators for the appropriate language (Chinese or Japanese), or their current language instructor.