Frequently Asked Questions

  1.  What are the differences between the CEAS Major and Minor?

In brief, the CEAS major requirements are: 3rd-year competence in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean; 2 core courses including the Proseminar and Foundations of East Asian Culture; 4 courses in a concentration; an elective; and a senior capstone project.   For the minor: 2nd-year competence in Chinese, Japanese or Korean; and 5 CEAS courses.

 2.  I already speak Chinese/Japanese/Korean.  Do I still need to take language? 

It depends on whether you want to major or minor.  If you want to major, you will need to gain advanced competency in a new CEAS language.  If you want to minor, you can have one of the CEAS language instructors certify your intermediate competency, and then you can take five non-language CEAS courses.

3.  I already speak some Chinese/Japanese/Korean.  How do I figure out which level I should take? 

You should contact the language coordinator for the relevant language (Chinese—Gong, Japanese—Maruta, Korean—Back), and a placement test will be arranged for you prior to the first day of class, so you can register for the correct class.

4.  I want to major in something else.  Can I double major in CEAS too? 

Yes!  CEAS is a very flexible major, and many students combine a CEAS major with other majors, minors, or certificates.

5. I didn't’t declare a CEAS major in the spring of my first year.  Can I still major in CEAS?

Yes!  Meet with the Chair to find out if you will be able to fulfill the major requirements prior to graduation.  If you can, you can become a late-add major. 

6. Is study abroad a major requirement?

Although not required, CEAS majors are expected to study abroad to develop their language competency and acquire a more concrete grasp of a specific East Asian cultural context. This expectation may be fulfilled through a semester or one year in an approved study abroad program.  We also encourage students to participate in summer language study, and we even offer a few scholarships to help with that effort.