Housing/Dietary Accommodations

food and lodging symbol

Students who have, or suspect they may have, a disability for which they would like to request housing and/or dietary accommodations, should first contact Accessibility Services to discuss their needs. See Requesting Reasonable Accommodations for more information.

Food Allergies and Dietary Conditions

Serving students with life threatening food allergies, celiac disease, and other dietary conditions is a priority at Wesleyan University. We believe that the ability to dine safely on campus with peers is a significant part of the college experience and we strive to provide this opportunity for all students.

Please see the Food Allergies web page for more detailed information. If your food allergy or other medical condition affects your housing, please also see the procedure below for applying for housing accommodations.

Housing Accommodations

Wesleyan University is a residential campus that requires all students to live on campus throughout their time at the university. Students with documented disabilities may request housing accommodations to ensure access to full participation in the residential component of the university experience. It is important to submit requests and documentation by the deadlines established by Residential Life.

Housing Accommodation Request Procedure

  • Submit a Disability Notification / Accommodation Form to the Accessibility Services office, and provide supporting documentation, by the appropriate deadlines.
  • Students who have received housing accommodations in the past must apply each year to be reconsidered.
Students with accommodations must still follow general housing procedures and should consult the Office of Residential Life for this information.


  • All requests for housing accommodations, along with the required documentation, must be received by the deadline for housing accommodations for the upcoming academic year, as established by the Office of Residential Life, in order to ensure that approved requests can be put into place for the start of the semester.
  • While applications submitted after these dates will be accepted and considered, Wesleyan University cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet late applicant's accommodation needs, including any needs that develop during the semester.


  • Meet requirements outlined in Accessibility Services Documentation Guidelines.
  • Be sufficient to establish a direct link between the underlying condition and the requested housing accommodation.
  • Students can provide supporting documentation by using the Disability Provider Form, or if requesting a housing accommodation due to asthma or allergy conditions, submit a completed Verification of Disability Form for Asthma or Allergy Conditions.

If the documentation which has been submitted does not contain sufficient information to determine appropriate accommodations, the student will be contacted. Students are able to meet with Accessibility Services to discuss the documentation, and/or can submit additional documentation for review at any time.

Incomplete applications or those without disability documentation will not be considered.

form symbol


Information to Consider Regarding Housing Accommodations

  • Students who have received housing accommodations in the past must apply each year to be reconsidered.
  • A student's preferences for specific housing will be considered, but may not always be met.
  • Housing accommodations are only for the student requesting the accommodation and may not include current or potential roommates.
  • Single rooms based on a student's desire to have a "quiet place to study" will be provided only in unusual circumstances. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof in the residence halls, a single room does not necessarily provide a quieter, more distraction-free space than a standard shared room.

Review of Housing Accommodation Requests

Requests are considered by the office of Accessibility Services, in consultation with the offices of Residential Life, Davison Health Center, and Counseling and Psychological Services.

Accessibility Services determines, on a case-by-case basis, whether or not the student is eligible for an accommodation based on disability status and whether or not there is a clear nexus between the request and the documented impairment. After review, the student will be notified by university email of the accommodation request decision and/or a housing offer.

A few things to keep in mind

A note on Emotional Support Animals

Students with disabilities who wish to request to bring an emotional support animal (ESA) into undergraduate or graduate housing are encouraged to contact Accessibility Services to discuss the ESA Policy and ESA Request Procedure and Form. An unapproved ESA is considered to be a violation of the University's Pet Policy.

A note on Service Animals

Students with disabilities who require the use of a service dog are not required to complete the above process, and are instead encouraged to contact Accessibility Services to discuss the Service Animal Policy prior to residence. Accessibility Services will assist with arranging appropriate housing in coordination with Residential Life.

Appeals and Grievances

When the request for an accommodation has been denied, or when an approved accommodation has not been received, students have a right to report the incident through any of the procedures outlined on the Appeals and Grievances page.