Housing Accommodations

The Office of Residential Life is committed to supporting all residential students and recognizes that some students have residential needs that can best be met prior to the standard housing selection process. Our office works closely with Disability Resources in providing these accommodations.

Process for Requesting a Housing Accommodation

Students requesting a housing accommodation based on a disability issue should contact Laura Patey, associate dean for student academic resources. Her office is located in North College, Room 021, and can be reached via telephone at 860-685-2332 or via e-mail at  She has walk-in hours while classes are in session: MTF 2:00 - 3:00 p.m., W 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. and Th 11:00 a.m. - noon. 
*The Housing Accommodation Review Commitee will review requests received and the supporting documentation that has been submitted. 

A student can request an accommodation at any time during the academic year, but students are given priority consideration when they contact Disability Resources within the following timeframe:

  • Incoming First-Year and Transfer Students:
    • Indicate the accommodation on your housing preference form and send documentation to Disability Resources by July 1st
    • Mid-Year transfers can indicate on the housing preference form as well and send documentation to Disability Resources by January 1st
  • Returning Students
    • No later than the first week of November for spring semester housing changes
    • Students returning in January from study abroad or leave can indicate the accommodation on their housing preference form and send documentation by January 1st
    • Mid-January to February 12th for Housing Selection considerations for housing for the following academic year

Please note that housing accommodations are only for the student requesting the accommodation and may not include current or potential roommates. Assignment and/or reassignment is based on space availability and the needs identified in the disability documentation received. While a student may feel strongly they should be placed in a specific residence. Residential Life will evaluate the recommendation and spaces available to determine the appropriate accommodation in consultation with the Housing Accommodation Review Committee. While a student does have the right to decline an offered assignment, Residential Life may not be able to offer another option.