Graduate Housing Lease


Residential Life is responsible for distributing and collecting housing rental agreements on behalf of the University offices associated with graduate student housing. Leases must be signed in the Office of Residential Life and students need to present photo identification (license, passport) to verify they are the occupant. Domestic partners or spouses living with graduate students must also be present with identification when the lease is signed. They will have to submit an Affidavit of Partnership which can be picked up at our Office. All students when signing their lease will be asked to list who will be living in their unit for the year. If there are children under 21 living with the student, the Office will need their names and ages for our files. Parents and other relatives are not legally considered dependents and can visit the student for up to 30 days over the period of the lease. 

Although Residential Life collects the signed leases, Physical Plant maintains the facilities. Any facilities concerns (repairs, damages, heating issues, etc) should be reported to Physical Plant at

All Residential Life policies and procedures existing in place at the time the lease is signed are part of this agreement and must be read by all students.  These policies include but are not limited to the following:


  1. The rental term begins as of June 1st or the first day keys are received by the student until May 31st the following year.  Current, matriculating, graduate residents who wish to remain in Wesleyan University housing for the following year are required to sign and submit a new lease prior to May 31st.
  2. All rent payments are due on the first day of the month.  Rent will be deducted from the stipend of the student named herein unless the student’s stipend does not cover the monthly rent or the student does not receive a stipend. These students must submit a payment to Wesleyan University. Please click here for the online payment system  
  3.  A $200 housing deposit is due when the student first signs their lease.
  4. The deposit can be online, cash, money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or wire transfer made payable to the university given to Valerie Nye, Accounting Specialist- Auxiliary Services, before the lease is signed.
  5. The student must bring proof of payment to Residential Life in order to sign the lease.
  6. Physical Plant will complete an inspection of the property after the student has vacated. Once completed, Physical Plant will notify the student via email of any damages found and will include an approximation of the charges to be incurred.  Any charges incurred by Physical Plant or Residential Life will be deducted from the deposit 
  7. Upon leaving the university, the student must inform Valerie Nye if they prefer their deposit be returned via direct deposit or to an address they provide. The deposit will be returned after the inspection has been completed and damages have been repaired.
  8. The assigned unit is to be occupied by the student named herein.  The unit may not be subleased.
  9. Any written publications and notices from Wesleyan to the student shall be deemed to be properly given if mailed or delivered by Wesleyan authorities to the student. Any email publications and notices from Wesleyan to the student shall be deemed to be properly given if sent to the student’s Wesleyan email account.
  10. Wesleyan may terminate this Agreement and require the student to vacate the assigned housing unit upon written notification under the following circumstances:
    1. The student graduates from Wesleyan.
    2. The student withdraws or is dismissed from Wesleyan.
    3. The student fails to enroll in the university.
    4. The student fails to perform his/her obligations under this Agreement, or
    5. Wesleyan in its sole discretion decides to use the assigned unit for a purpose other than a graduate student-housing unit. In this event, Wesleyan shall give at least 60 days written notice to the student and shall attempt to provide the student with comparable housing facilities which Wesleyan deems suitable and reasonable for the student’s purpose.

   11. Residents of housing who fail to meet rental obligations may cause any of the following actions to be taken       by Wesleyan: referral for disciplinary action, eviction, referral to a collection agency, fines.

   12. If a resident wants to break their lease during the academic year, they must notify the Assistant Director of       Residential Life in writing, 60 Days in advance and pay a breakage fee the equivalent of one month of rent.  If a     resident wants to break their lease during the summer, they must notify the Assistant Director of Resident Life in     writing by July 1st and move out by August 1st in order to avoid paying the breakage fee.

  • Students who are mandated by their department to study in an alternative location for the summer may apply for the “Summer Option. The Summer Option suspends the lease during the student’s time away from campus. To be eligible for the Summer Option students must be engaged in academic work required by the their department that results in living in another location.  It must be approved by the academic department.  Students must apply for the Summer Option through Residential Life. Students who want to suspend their lease for travel or other personal reasons will not be permitted to participate in the summer option and will have to pay rent for those months. Students must have specific move-in and move-out dates; complete an online Graduate Housing Intent Form for the following year;  move all belongings out of the unit (items must be stored in off-campus storage.  Park Washington and 126 Pearl residents can leave their belongings in their storage unit); and return the key to the Office of Residential Life during office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday -Friday)  Once the online application is complete, key returned, and the unit is inspected by facilities, rent is suspended for the leave period
The student agrees to the following obligations:
  • The student will use the housing in a quiet and orderly manner. Noise should be kept within reasonable levels at all times, and special care should be taken to contain noise within your housing unit. The student should be mindful of neighbors’ schedules and of Middletown’s ordinances with regard to noise, which require reduced levels after sundown every day. This includes, but is not limited to, loud playing of stereo and other sound-reproducing and recording devices and musical instruments.
  • Quiet hours are Sunday to Thursday 11 pm-8 am, and Friday and Saturday 1am to 10 am.
  • Houses on Home Avenue, Lawn Avenue, and Brainerd Avenue are designated as quiet houses. Students assigned to houses on these streets will need to sign the Quiet House Agreement.  The student agrees to not participate in activities that might negatively impact their neighbors, and understands that they will be held responsible for disruptive noise or activities caused by them or their guests.  Any violation will be addressed by Residential Life and the Graduate Community Standards Board.  Repeated offenses may result in the relocation of the student.
  • The student will promptly notify Wesleyan of the presence of any hazardous condition and/or any material loss or damage to the housing unit. In addition, the student will notify Wesleyan of any injury to anyone on the property.
  • The student will not remove any items of Wesleyan’s equipment from the housing unit without prior written authorization, alter or replace the present locks or install additional locks, paint and/or make any repairs and will not make alteration to or changes in the housing unit without prior written authorization.
  • Furniture provided by the university in designated furnished units must stay in these units. Under no circumstances is furniture to be moved from one room or house to another.  If missing or moved, the responsible student or housemates will be charged.
  • The student will not keep any motorcycle, motorbike or any other motorized vehicle in a campus building. Bicycles may not be kept in corridors, entrances, and exits, which must be kept clear to provide a safe means of egress in case of an emergency. Students living in Park Washington may store non-motorized bicycles in the laundry room or storage units.   
  • The use or storage of firearms, firecrackers, explosives, combustible materials and/or any other type or form of weapon, explosive or incendiary device or dangerous substance is prohibited. Students will be assessed a $100.00 fine for each violation, and prohibited items will be confiscated and will not be returned.
  • The student will comply with and conform to all of the laws of the United States and the State of Connecticut; and the By-Laws, Rules and Regulations of the City and Town of Middletown relating to health, nuisance, fire, safety, highways and sidewalks.
  • Students who have cars must register them with Public Safety and display a valid parking decal on their vehicle (check the Public Safety page for current fees).
  • Wesleyan will not permit accumulation of boxes, packages, barrels, waste paper, garbage or other trash and debris in common spaces and exterior spaces of the housing unit.
  • At the end of the lease term, the student will move all personal property from the housing unit and will surrender the premises in as good condition as when entered except for loss or damage resulting from “acts of God” or ordinary wear and tear.
  • If applicable, Graduate students may use unlocked basements of wood-frame houses as storage for the duration of their lease. Items cannot block boilers, fuse boxes, doorways, and other areas that Physical Plant may have to access for maintenance and emergencies. Unlocked attics may not be used for storage. Students must put their name on all items stored in the basements of group houses.
    1. Apartments in Park Washington and 126 Pearl Street have storage units available in the basement. A storage unit will be assigned and a lock will be provided at the initial lease signing. All belongings must be removed when the lease ends.  Failure to do so, will result in Physical Plant immediately removing the items after the tenant leaves and deducting the cost from the security deposit.
  • Pets are not permitted in any student housing with the exception of fish in 10 gallon tanks or smaller. No other pets or animals are permitted in student residences at any time, even if for a brief visit. Students and their roommates who have a pet or animal found in their residence are subject to the following:

First Offense: $300 fine
Second and Subsequent Offenses: $500 fine
Regular follow up visits will be made to ensure the animal has been removed.

Students who, because of a disability, seek approval for a support or assistance animal must request a reasonable accommodation through Accessibility Services. This is a formal process that requires appropriate supporting documentation. A determination is then made regarding whether it is reasonable for the animal to be on campus. For policies regarding service animals, please contact Accessibility Services. Students must not bring the assistance animal to campus until they have received approval from Accessibility Services and Residential Life. Any student who has an animal in residence prior to approval is subject to a fine and judicial action.

  • Smoking is prohibited in all graduate housing, as well as within 25 feet of university residences.
  • The student will maintain the housing unit in a safe, clean and habitable condition and will be responsible for loss or damage. Cleaning services are not provided; the student is responsible for cleaning their own unit.  It is expected that the unit be left in clean condition at the end of the lease (refrigerator cleaned out, stove and oven cleaned, bathtub/shower cleaned and all trash, personal furniture and items removed).  Failure to do so  will result in cleaning charges. Damage incurred to the housing unit beyond normal wear and tear will be charged to the student.
  • The student is prohibited from soliciting or running a business out of campus housing.
Wesleyan agrees as follows:
  • Wesleyan will deliver the housing unit to the student at the beginning of the lease term in good and habitable condition.
  • Wesleyan will maintain the building, grounds, the heat, water and electrical systems and make repairs to the above and to appliances and fixtures supplied by Wesleyan within the premises without cost to the student unless such repairs are necessitated by negligence or misconduct.

 Wesleyan University may enter the housing unit during the term of this Agreement at any time in case of emergency or direct complaint.  Wesleyan University will enter the housing unit with prior notification to the residents of at least 24 hours (when possible) for any of the following reasons:

  • To show the housing unit to prospective residents with written notification.
  • To inspect for damages, fire and health hazards.
  • To make repairs, installations, additions, or alterations to the apartment or to the building, or to paint upon written notification. Facilities is not required to get permission from a tenant before commencing work.
  • To assess the physical attributes of the housing unit.
  • To investigate suspected violations of the rules and regulations of Wesleyan University. Entrance will not be done without knocking first and announcing entrance.
  • Physical Plant typically will leave notification in the housing unit when responding to a work order request.

 Wesleyan shall not be liable to the student for pause of the service to the housing unit due to any accident, the making of repairs, alterations or improvements, labor difficulties, difficulties in obtaining fuel, electricity, service or supplies from the sources from which they are usually obtained.  Wesleyan will make a good faith effort to rectify issues as quickly as possible.

Since Wesleyan cannot assume responsibility for loss of or damage to personal property of the residents or guests caused by mechanical mishaps, theft, fire, wind, flood, other catastrophes, etc., students are advised to maintain their own insurance for personal possessions. The Office of Residential Life highly recommends that each student at Wesleyan consider purchasing personal property insurance through a renter’s policy or a homeowner’s policy rider.  An example of a renter’s policy can be found at:

The student is responsible for the conduct of invitees, visitors, guests, and agents while in the housing unit.  The University shall deem any breach of any applicable condition of this Agreement by such invitees, visitors, guests and agents a breach. The maximum amount of time a guest can stay is thirty days over the period of the lease. If a guest is staying for an extended period of time (3 days to 30 days), the resident must register the guest with Residential Life by using the Guest Notification form on the Residential Life website. Requests for exceptions should be made in writing to Residential life.


  1. If the student remains in the unit past the expiration date, Wesleyan reserves the right to reinstate the terms of the lease for an additional twelve months.  Wesleyan cannot guarantee that the current unit assignment will be retained by the student for future rental beyond the dates specified on this lease.  However, Wesleyan will make every reasonable effort to avoid a change of residence if the student desires to remain in the same housing unit
  2. If any provision of this Agreement or portion of such provision should be held invalid or waived, the remainder of the Agreement shall not be affected.
  3. Heat, water, cable television, telephone, hot water, electricity, trash collection and other utilities and services will be paid for as follows:
  • Wesleyan is responsible for payment of the heat, water, hot water, electricity, trash collection, and internet access.
  • Tenant is responsible for payment of any charges for cable television and telephone service.


Housing built before 1978 may contain lead-based paint. Lead from paint, paint chips, and dust can pose health hazards if not taken care of properly. Lead exposure is especially harmful to young children and pregnant women. Before renting pre-1978 housing, landlords must disclose the presence of known lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards in the dwelling. Tenants must also receive a federally approved pamphlet on lead poisoning prevention. The pamphlet may be viewed at:

The University recognizes that any housing built prior to 1978 may contain lead-based paint and/or lead-based paint hazards.  By accepting this contract, the student affirms that they have reviewed the pamphlet Protect Your Family from Lead In Your Home.
Keys are distributed through the Office of Residential Life. Students will receive one set of keys for their assignment and are not  authorized to make copies of University-issued keys.  Students requiring additional keys for partners/family members must contact Residential Life . Additional keys will only be issued to people registered with Residential Life.  Students who have lost their apartment/house keys must report the loss to the Office of Residential Life.  Charges for lost keys will be billed to student accounts.
A lost, stolen, or misplaced key to ANY residential graduate space will result in a lock change.  The cost of a lock change for graduate housing is $60 per cylinder (number of required cylinders varies by unit), $24 for labor and $6 per key (number of required keys varies by unit). 
  1. For lock-outs, students may borrow a spare key from the Office of Residential Life, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. –  5 p.m.  During non-business hours, students should contact Public Safety at 860-685-2345 or extension 2345, located at 208 High Street, to gain access to their unit.  Public Safety cannot provide students with additional keys. For a first time lock out, there will be no charge for Public Safety to unlock your apartment. There will be a $10 charge for subsequent lockouts during the lease period.
  2. Residents of Park Washington are responsible for putting their trash in the respective dumpsters behind the building. Residents of 126 Pearl Street are responsible for putting their trash in the bins located on the exterior north side of the building. Physical Plant will move the bins to and from the curb for pick up. Residents of wood-frame houses are responsible bringing trash and recycling bins to the curb the night before the scheduled pick-up on a weekly basis. The containers must be returned to the rear of the house the same day as the pick- up. The city of Middletown levies a $25 fine per day for containers that are left curbside after the day of pick-up. Items available for recycling: glass bottles, metal cans, #1—#7 plastic containers, drink boxes, milk cartons, aluminum foil,  & pie  plates, mixed paper, magazines & catalogs. Please check the Middletown's Sanitation Division website for more information on the recycling and trash pickup schedule. 
  3. Students residing in wood-frame houses are permitted to purchase their own window AC unit and install it themselves.  The use of an air-conditioner is permitted from the dates of June 1st through to the end of September.  They must be removed from windows by October 1st. 



Office of Residential Life  ●  237 High Street  ●  Middletown, CT  06459

(860) 685-3550