Declaring the Music Major

Students interested in becoming a Music Major will complete the following steps in the Spring semester of their sophomore year.  An audition is not a requirement for declaring the major.  The Music Major Open house is typically held in February and notification of the Open House is posted here and in the Music Studios Lobby.



   For Current Wesleyan Sophomores Preparing to Declare the Music Major
   Meeting: February 2020 

To Become a Music Major:

  1. Attend the Music Major Open House - required paperwork and music advisor assignment available
  2. If you didn't attend the Open House see Sandy Brough (Music Studios 109)
  3. Fill out the In-House Concentration Form *

                           *All necessary paperwork is not available until February 2020*

                Please include on the form:

  • Music courses already taken - include the semester and the grade.
  • Project music courses you intend to take by using the course lists provided.
  • Use the same lists to project for junior and senior year.
  • On the back side of the form include courses taken outside of Music. Include courses already taken and courses that you are currently taking. You do not need to project future courses here.
  • Indicate whether you are planning a senior project or Honors Thesis
    4. Make an appointment and meet with your assigned music advisor. 
    5. Have your music advisor sign the fully completed form*.
    6. Turn your In-House Concentration Form (signed only by you and your advisor) to MST 109.
    7. Request to become a Music Major in WesPortal Major Declaration.

You will receive formal notification if you have been approved as a Music Major by the faculty in March.

Please contact Sandy Brough with any questions.