International Travel Assistance Program

Personal Travel Assistance (Employer-Paid)

Whenever you travel 100 miles or more from home for personal reasons—to another country or just another city—for less than 90 days, be sure to pack your worldwide travel assistance phone number! Travel assistance services, provided through Assist America, can help you locate hospitals, embassies, and other "unexpected" travel destinations. Just one phone call connects you and your family to medical and other important services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Use your travel assistance phone number to access:

  • Hospital admission assistance
  • Transportation for a friend or family member to join a hospitalized patient
  • Assistance with the return of a vehicle
  • Referrals to Wesleyan-trained, English-speaking medical providers
  • Emergency medical evacuation
  • Care and transport of unattended minor children
  • Emergency message services
  • Legal and interpreter referrals 
  • Prescription replacement assistance
  • Critical care monitoring
  • Emergency trauma counseling
  • Passport replacement assistance

Download the Assist America mobile app using reference number 01-AA-UN-762490. You can use the app to:

⦁ Call Assist America's Operation Center from anywhere in the world with the touch of a button
⦁ Access pre-trip information and country guides
⦁ Search for local pharmacies (U.S. only)
⦁ Download a membership card
⦁ View a list of services
⦁ Search for the nearest U.S. embassy

Expatriate/Extended Travel Program (Employee-Paid)

If you are traveling more than 100 miles from home for more than 90 days for personal reasons, you can purchase extended coverage through the Expatriate/Extended Program. This coverage complies with J-1 Visa Requirements.

  1. You must be eligible for Assist America's employer­-paid travel assistance
  2. The Expatriate/Extended Program must be activated before you leave on your extended travel
  3. Your spouse and children must be covered under the Wesleyan medical plan to be eligible

The Expatriate/Extended Program is available for an annual fee of $80 per individual or $120 per family. This program period coincides with the effective dates of your insurance policy, regardless of when you enroll. The program is not prorated.

To register, complete the enrollment form on the Assist America website at­ and enter your Assist America reference number (01-AA-UN-762490) to activate the program. The annual fee must be paid in full at the time of enrollment.

If you have questions regarding the Expatriate/Extended Program, please call 1-800-872-1414.


International Business Travel Assistance

The University now has a contract with International SOS, a medical and travel security services company, which covers not only Wesleyan students, but staff and faculty traveling abroad for university business/scholarly research as well.  Most significantly, International SOS will guarantee emergency medical funds upfront (Cigna only provides later reimbursement).  The company also offers advice & assistance for situations such as loss of medication or travel documents while abroad, and arrangements for family visitation in the case of medical emergencies overseas.

The University's membership number can be obtained by emailing Amy Walsh in the Human Resources office.